Opening Book Assesment

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
afos99

Opening Book Assesment

Post by afos99 »

Hi

This size of opening books on dedicated computers can be hazy at times. This is especially true at the cheaper end of machines. There can be conflicted sizes from the different sources online. Excalibur Alexandra for example range from 32 openings to 3K.

So, are there some openings which are a good test of the depth of books? I guess not too obscure and not too obvious.

Dave
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Could you be a bit more specific about this?

I ask because the question intrigues me, too. We had a forum exchange on this subject a few years ago, but it was based on the total claimed size of opening books, rather then specific openings:

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4754

It would be interesting to run a deeper test on this sort of thing. Maybe I'll take a run.

Naturally, the more popular openings (Sicilian, Ruy Lopez, etc.) are bound to have taller, more varied trees. It's my impression that programmers try to build books that evade/resist discredited lines and transposition tricks. I've fiddled around with trying to reverse engineer the sources (BCO, MCO, Informator), but I haven't tried very hard. Anyone out there with more expertise?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
afos99

Post by afos99 »

I am interested in the book sizes of a family of computers. That is Excellence, Par, Designer 2000, Chester, Little Chester and Advanced Talking all with a similar software but supposedly different books.

What I have decided to start with is to test the machines with irregular openings ie a3, a4 through to h4. Note whether they they respond with a book opening and if so the line and depth.

I assume if a book is small it won't include irregular openings. I am hoping to prove that Little Chester has a larger book than stated online. There is some differences over this machine's hardware and software.

In line with my original post if any member has standard openings which may also show the width and depth of books that would help.

Opening a book of worms

Dave