Analyst C

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chesspcmac

Analyst C

Post by chesspcmac »

I have a Kasparov Renaissance computer that has the brute force module and It works very well. One question: Always answer e5 to e4. How do i make it to play something else sicilian, french, etc. I have read the manual 3 times and I dont see it.
I have recently bought from France an "Analyst C 6 mhz" It takes a long time to make a move and it always plays (when black) 1. e4-e5, 2. Nf3 d5. It takes like a minute to make the e5 move. Am I doing something wrong, is it broken? should I return it? I have use the ACL switch. When I go to the lower levels a-d (the rennasaince levels) it plays fast but in the Analyst takes forever. in a 90 moves/game it takes like 3 minutes to make 4 moves. Can you turn the book off? or On?

help needed

MERCI regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

I think your module is corrupted. I don't believe there is a "no book" function. I don't believe mine would always reply e5 to e4. I will do some tests tonight to confirm. Can you please tell me how many RAM chips your module has and the type of chip? I only got one RAM chip in mine! In any case hopefully it's just a faulty eprom which ca easily be replaced or upgraded to d++ :-)
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137954842 ... 1397972365

You can see my Analyst C 6Mhz here. Just the quartz has been replaced all is orignal otherwise. Do your eproms have the same labels? I run mine through a Leonardo though ...
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

Ok I just started a game vs. the analyst C, level =g8 99/1h30. It replied 1. ...c5 to 1.e4 instantaneously. Funnily enough the clocks were counting up and not down though. It was a nice win for me in the end. I will post later :-)

So I would try removing the book rom, U3 slot, and playing without the book to see if you get any difference in opening play. Also the Analyst has a User programmable library (UPL) so you might want to check that no one has programmed anything into that. I don't have much experience with the UPL but it should be detailed in the manual. You can also try a test position to see if it's calculating properly. Sargon had one on his website somewhere.
mclane

Post by mclane »

What is written on the EPROMs? Maybe it is an experimental version .
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

I really appreciate the help Im at work right now so Im unable to answer your questions but I will tomorrow with PICs if possible.

PS how do I make my "brute force" module play a different opening?

Thanks

Faulty electronics...Regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Mike,

Strange that your BF always play e5 to e4
well to change that u can ,take back BF Move and then u make a move for Black >c7-c5 BF will take white and play Nf3 if that is what u want to play then press play for BF and he will have black again, if not Nf3 take back and play your move ,the again BF will play black after

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Well guys I returned the ANALYST C module because I think it was faulty. Thanks for all your help!!

Grateful regards

Mike

Henry Thomas Buckle
Tr0ntreez

Post by Tr0ntreez »

chesspcmac wrote:Well guys I returned the ANALYST C module because I think it was faulty. Thanks for all your help!!

Grateful regards

Mike
Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear about your Analyst C. Just wondering how much you paid for yours as I'd like to know how much these are worth if I ever decided to sell mine.

Thanks,
tt
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Hi there, I paid like $400, I think probably is a bit cheaper than that

Cheap regards

Mike

Henry Thomas Buckle