Hiarcs 14 WCSC played handicaped match against Stockfish 8!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
herO

Hiarcs 14 WCSC played handicaped match against Stockfish 8!

Post by herO »

Pavel Háse arranged a chess tournament between older engines vs Stockfish 8. All chess engines used the same initial positions. Older engines had material advantage. It is very interesting tournament without doubt.

Very interesting games are between Fritz 5.32 and Stockfish 8. Stockfish beated Fritz almost every single game. It is not important that Stockfish won those games, but HOW Stockfish won those games.

RESULTS:
Fritz 5.32 - Stockfish 8 +0 -7 =1

Shredder 10 - Stockfish 8 0:4=4

Rybka 1 - Stockfish 8 0:4=4

Rybka 3 - Stockfish 8 0:1=7

Zappa II Mex. - Stockfsh 8 0:5=3

Hiarcs 14 WVSC - Stockfish 8 0:4=4
Hiarcs almost beated Stockfish 8! When I saw those games I feel that if the author will improve Hiarcs selectivity, Hiarcs could get back at least before Shredder.
I do not mention converting Hiarcs to 64 bit when it's probably such a problem. One loss goes to the feature "swindle opponent". Against a stronger opponent, of course, Hiarcs only "swindle" himself.

D.Junior 13.3 - Stockfish 8 0:5=3

Stockfish 8 did not lose any game!
Zappa was close in the 5th game, when Zappa lost the win because Zappa loss tempo and Hiarcs in the 4th game.

Games with engines Houdini 2, Ryba 4, Houdini 3 comming soon!

All games have almost the same scenario:
- Stockfish find a trick somewhere in the middle of the game.
- Black recalculates the opponent by either getting the material back or receiving compensation. And the rest of the game is about whether he can break one more time.
- Stockfish computing lead on the cleaned chessboard is so big that Stockfish sees everything before, so his opponents can not reach him.
- Stockfish may lose only if his position turns out to be strategically unhealthy. This has happened about twice, but neither Zappa nor Hiarcs have been able to use it.

You can load this pgn into your HCE.
http://www.chesspraga.cz/partie/comp_handicap.pgn
herO

Post by herO »

Stockfish 8 will play against Komodo 11. It will be a test match (8 games). I suppose Stockfish will be able to achieve 2 - 3 draws, but other games will be lost.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

herO wrote:Stockfish 8 will play against Komodo 11. It will be a test match (8 games). I suppose Stockfish will be able to achieve 2 - 3 draws, but other games will be lost.
Hi HerO,
Looking forward to the match between Stockfish 8 and Komodo 11

Thanks,
Dave