New 'Wood' machine from MILLENNIUM

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Scally wrote:Hi all,

I was just looking online and the best price I can see in the UK is £749 marked down from £799, that's $970.

I can get one on eBay in dollars for less than that including a huge $90 delivery.

Why so expensive over here?

Al.
Its a penalty tax for Brexit! :P

Regards
Nick
mclane

Post by mclane »

spacious_mind wrote:
mclane wrote:The pc runs with only 533 MHz, IMO this is a reliable machine,
A other solution would be to emulate dos on the mobile. I will benchmark chess system tal on this and come with the data so we can relate it to the 533 MHz via CPU.
If you get the chance out of curiosity let Rebel 10 do its cpu test and see what it scores. I will do the same with my 4 GHz PC and a Dell I5 2.6 GHZ Laptop.

Best regards
On my mobile phone Motorola z with magic dos box free,
I get maximum of roughly 2300 NPS with CSTAL v93.

Compared to the via CPU this is a reduction of speed.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:
Steve B wrote:Seems the computer does not show the search depth(8 ply...9 ply...etc..etc)
it will show the total possible moves and the current move it is considering(18/34 for example) but not the depth

an odd thing to leave out in the Info display

Depth Defying Regards
Steve
Steve, it shows the depth:
It is the VERY FIRST digit on the left upper part of the display (you might think that this is the move number, but it is the depth number).
Thanks Steffen
i did mistake the depth for the move number
reaches 10 ply in about 25-30 seconds
very nice

Speed Demon Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote: My collection has probably tripled over the past year and there's nowhere else to hide it, the misses has started to notice.
thats one thing i always appreciated the most about my wife
poor vision
Scally wrote:
I have both a Mephisto Tournament Machine and a Rev2 as Piece Recognition boards, but I haven't ruled it out completely yet.

the Mephisto TM 36 Mhz is not piece recognition
did you mean the Bavaria?

Curious Regards
Steve
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Mine arrived yesterday and I'm impressed with the presentation (box, board, manual, etc). With any luck, I'll have some time this weekend to lose ... I mean, to play ... some games against it. The board is definitely reminiscent of the Citrine, but smaller and feels more solid. (I'd still prefer a Lardy/French Knight set, but this set will do for now.)

I have to ask, though: Can we really have enough toys? (That's rhetorical. Of course we can't.) So, my order for the Square Off goes in today.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Scally

Post by Scally »

the Mephisto TM 36 Mhz is not piece recognition
did you mean the Bavaria?

Curious Regards
Steve
Steve you are quite right, I got carried away. Yes mine is the TM, so the only piece recognition machine I have is the Rev2.

Thanks

Al.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote: so the only piece recognition machine I have is the Rev2.
OK so its settled then Al

you will get the MCGE so you can have two piece recognition boards.. and we wont tell the Misses
:wink:

What They Dont Know Will Not Hurt Them Regards
Steve
steffen

Post by steffen »

steffen wrote:
steffen wrote:Okay, I made the BT-2630 position tests for the Millennium Chess Genius EXCLUSIVE.

The result is an ELO of 2392.

BT 2630 Millennium Chess Genius EXCLUSIVE

Test Seconds
seconds
28 376

ELO 2392

(Result of test 3 corrected: 8 seconds instead of 35 seconds; ELO 2392 instead of 2391)
Funny experience in test no. 28:
My result was 376 seconds.
Ruediger has 366 seconds and confirmed that twice to me.
So I tested once more straight after playing another game: 365 seconds came out.
I restarted the MCGE with the NEW button: result 375 seconds ;)

Steffen
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Steve B wrote:Seems the computer does not show the search depth(8 ply...9 ply...etc..etc)
it will show the total possible moves and the current move it is considering(18/34 for example) but not the depth

an odd thing to leave out in the Info display

Depth Defying Regards
Steve
Seems the computer does not display the number of moves examined by the CPU. I really do enjoy that feature from the TASC.
Maybe Millennium could add a running move counter to the display in a future update?

The more moves examined, the merrier....regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:
Michael, the spare chessmen are offered by topschach.
Hi Steffen

i searched around on their web site and could not find the spare chess set for the MCGE
what category is it under?

Clicking Aimlessly Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:
steffen wrote:
Michael, the spare chessmen are offered by topschach.
Hi Steffen

i searched around on their web site and could not find the spare chess set for the MCGE
what category is it under?

Clicking Aimlessly Regards
Steve
it's under "Schachcomputer" the 8th item - the picture is misleading... -> "Ersatzfiguren ChessGenius Exclusive"

Undercover Regards, Michael
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

blaubaer wrote: it's under "Schachcomputer" the 8th item - the picture is misleading... -> "Ersatzfiguren ChessGenius Exclusive"

Undercover Regards, Michael
Thanks Michael
i placed the order

Overseas Regards
Steve
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Steve and all,

when you are on that topschach.de site anyway, look at the third item under "Schachcomputer" the "ChessGenius Exclusive DGT Brett Emulator" - that's an emulator, which communicates over the DGT rabbit plugin with all chess programs which support a DGT board (Chessbase, Fritz etc). It will have LED support.

But: They will give this software for free to their MCGExclusive customers only...

Available from August 15th on.

Regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Scally wrote:Hi all,

I was just looking online and the best price I can see in the UK is £749 marked down from £799, that's $970.

I can get one on eBay in dollars for less than that including a huge $90 delivery.

Why so expensive over here?

Al.
Hi Al,

I keep looking at your price of GBP 749.00 and it surprisingly out of proportion to what I paid in USA and what the cost is in Germany.

Yesterday's exchange rates were as follows:

GBP 1 = USD 1.29306
Euro 1 = USD 1.12086
GBP 1 = EURO 1.15351

I paid for mine including delivery to my home $604.00 ($599.00 + $5.00 shipping) So here are the costs for USA, Germany and UK:

USA Cost = USD 604.00 = GBP 467.11 = Euro 538.87
Topschach.de = Euro 598.00 = GBP 518.42 = $670.27
UK Price = GBP 749.00 = Euro 863.98 = $968.50

(Typically in the USA the price is likely to go up by $100.00 as the importer likes to give a good early order price but then increase it later).

UK VAT = 20% (included in price)
Germany VAT (Mwst) = 19% (included in price)
USA Sales Tax (VAT) = 10% (Generally but varies from state to state). However most states if you order Online on the internet the sales tax is 0%. In a few states you have to pay the sales tax but most are 0%. Alabama for example is 0%. If I buy in a store I would pay 10% in total which is typically comprised from 3 taxes combined which are State Tax + County Tax and City Tax = 10%. This can vary by state and county and city, but typically in total varies somewhere between 8% to 12%.

Therefore buying the computer in the USA seems to have been the best deal especially since in most states you don't pay tax when you buy online:

USA = 0% Germany = +10.97% UK = +60.35%

As you can see buying in Germany the computer cost 10.97% more than I paid. However technically the computer itself is cheaper in Germany since the 19% sales is probably included in the price. The customer however because of the tax has to pay more.

In the UK where the cost is 60.35% higher (but with 20% VAT included in the price), I can only assume that:

1) The UK Distributor had to pay more than the USA Distributor or Topschach.de
2) The UK Distributor runs his business with a much higher profit margin :)

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:
(Result of test 3 corrected: 8 seconds instead of 35 seconds; ELO 2392 instead of 2391)
Hi Steffen
as you know the MCGE has two books...
the manual states they are Classic(London book) and Master...
the box also states two books... Classic book(57k positions) and Master (300k positions)
but the computer shows Classic and Champion as the two book options
i guess printing error's on the box and in the manual?

do you know if either of these books ( Master or Champion ) is also a Hiarcs book as in the ChessGenius Pro?

Scrutinizing Everything Regards
Steve