LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
fhub wrote: Thanks for your kind words, Nick! :)

But do you really dare to make such a statement about a chess computer PC emulation, which is not very popular here in this forum here,
and which is even considered as a product for the 'unwashed masses' by some guys here? ;)

Franz
Hi Franz,

People here are honest and tell you exactly what they think. That is what I like most about this forum. No one here is ever going to suck up to you with countless thank you statements. They will question you and you will have tough debates.

I personally love that, it is how I learn new things all the time efficiently and fast. :) You don't learn through agreeing with everyone else or them agreeing with you.

Just look at my posts I throw things out there and I have to accept what I get back.. it's fun and keeps everyone's mental juices flowing.

As far as I know there is only one rule here and that is to stay respectful to the other person however much you disagree with their opinion. In other words no personal insults ie. cussing them out or their heritage etc.

I can think of only 3 or 4 times in 10 years where someone was banned and in all cases it was not about what they debated but how they treated someone else.

So just because people don't agree with what you do does not mean that everyone does not agree with what you do or write :)

If you think about it, you have a Forum here under Hiarcs a commercial program, which in this general discussion forum is not often mentioned since we talk about dedicated computers, emulators, pc programs etc etc. You cannot get a higher tolerance that! This kind of tolerance rarely exists in Forums if at all.

Best regards

Amen Regards
Steve
hap

Post by hap »

fhub wrote:Hi,

if anyone is interested - I've just released a new (final) version of CB-Emu.
I've implemented lots of new chess modules since Fernando created this thread - in total it contains now 128 modules.
That's great work and all, but please give credit where credit is due. It kind of sounds like you're attributing all the credit to yourself. All the recent emulation in CB-Emu is copied straight from MAME. CB-Emu just adds chesspieces simulation, while also violating the MAME(GPL) license.

Slightly Annoyed Regards,
hap from MAME team
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

With a little help from my good friend Berger, I have managed to build a MESS Chessboard. It uses a Teensy USB Development Board (coded by Berger) and tactile switches. As I previously said in an earlier post, without this excellent piece of software I would never have been able to play against all of our favourite chess engines found in our beloved chess computers.

Here is a photo of my board with me playing against the Novag Diablo followed by a few screenshots of some of the other chess computers available.

spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:With a little help from my good friend Berger, I have managed to build a MESS Chessboard. It uses a Teensy USB Development Board (coded by Berger) and tactile switches. As I previously said in an earlier post, without this excellent piece of software I would never have been able to play against all of our favourite chess engines found in our beloved chess computers.

Here is a photo of my board with me playing against the Novag Diablo followed by a few screenshots of some of the other chess computers available.

Hi Bryan,

As an honorable member, I think you should send one of those Solus boards immediately to all other honorable members :P

J/K you know I am always impressed with your creations and of course with Berger's skill as well.

Well done, it looks magnificent just like all your other creations.

Best regards
Nick
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Nick

Many thanks for the kind words!

As for making each member of the forum one, well I would but the thought of all that soldering ahhhhhhhh.

If any one would like to build one though I would be more than happy to advise and help them. Obviously it would depend on Berger agreeing to supply his SolusChess TS code to them?

Anyway, besides building a board this project has enabled me to delve back into chess graphics which I have really enjoyed doing for many years and the following screenshot is my own graphical 3D interpretation for the Fidelity EAG boards.

I have also included my board wiring diagram and photo of one of the boards tactile switches with evidence that I am not the worlds greatest solderer!!

scandien

Post by scandien »

Hello,

in my view this is really a great Job. The main concern is to keep the "mind" and the "spirit"of this beloved machine ( my own chess champion is Out of Service but i can still play with it due to this emulator).

As time passed , the machine will probably became , one after the other Out of service.

One other interesting thing is that if i am traveling all the emulated machine can be taken with. Obviously i prefer playing directly with the "real" machine, but i cannot take with me more than one or two at the same time. And there is no risk to crash my machine...

Thanks again for this very good Job.

Nicolas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

scandien wrote:
Obviously i prefer playing directly with the "real" machine,
Personally I think the whole idea of simulating the old dedicated chess computers into a PC format is a bit inconsistent
I mean after all..one of the main reasons we love the dedicated computers is to play on a real board with real pieces..so now we take that idea and put it on the pc screen with a fake board and fake pieces
sheer folly if you ask me

however, I do see a possible great result for chess computer collectors
the more these emulations spread across the net..the more interest there might be in the real machines...perhaps introducing them for the first time to those unaware of them ..driving up the demand and the prices for these babies.. making those that do own the real ones ...

Wealthy Beyond Their Wildest Dreams Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I think it is a great job, even if it only would be to preserve the memories of these loved oldies.
But until all my dedicated ones are malfunctioning I will stick to the real ones.
In my working life I stared at computerscreens all day long, so I am quite happy with the real 3D look and feel.

Let's get physical regards ;-),
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:I have also included my board wiring diagram and photo of one of the boards tactile switches with evidence that I am not the worlds greatest solderer!!
Hi Bryan

I don't have skillset to do that, that would be like learning a new trade for me. Maybe someday when I no longer have to work, I will learn it. :)

Best regards
Nick
Queegmeister

tried link says file expired

Post by Queegmeister »

Hello Good Fellows and a special hello to good old Steve

I was wondering if there was a working link to the emulator files of the whole package, or did I miss something again , my eyesight is not what it used to be , I click to download and browser is hi jacked on zippy share

and I did not notice it was based on MAME , I was MAMED in the past, hopefully the bugs are worked out no offense intended.

Survivor of past mamings regards
Dr. Q :)
Only he who never plays, never loses
Berger

Re: tried link says file expired

Post by Berger »

Queegmeister wrote:I was wondering if there was a working link to the emulator files of the whole package(...)
For example, here you have a link:
http://foro.meca-web.es/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=842

Regards,
Berger
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Bryan,
Chessmaster Ireland wrote:
If any one would like to build one though I would be more than happy to advise and help them.
Yes, Bryan, I certainly would! Please give some more information on the design of the board and preparation of the emu files. Maybe here, or, as Fern does not like workshop stuff here 8) , per mail...

Always open for new soldering stuff regards, Michael
fhub

Post by fhub »

Hi,

since my last post here many new chess modules have been implemented in CB-Emu, the last 2 just yesterday (Fidelity Mach II & III).

Also new is, that the complete package (and todays update) is now downloadable from my own website:
https://fhub.jimdo.com/

Regards,
Franz
royb

Post by royb »

fhub wrote:Hi,

since my last post here many new chess modules have been implemented in CB-Emu, the last 2 just yesterday (Fidelity Mach II & III).

Also new is, that the complete package (and todays update) is now downloadable from my own website:
https://fhub.jimdo.com/

Regards,
Franz
Many thanks Franz! Some great new additions!! I had not looked in on your progress over the last 9 months. Great to see Novag Super Expert models, Saitek RISC 2500, Fidelity Mach II and III ... Wow!
TracySMiller

DGT board compatibility

Post by TracySMiller »

fhub and Chessmaster Ireland,

Is there any way to take these emulations and somehow play them over my bluetooth DGT Chessboard? That would be a super-cool way for me to play a lot of these machines that are a little out of my financial range.