The Black Beast Case

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

The Black Beast Case

Post by Fernando »

Have you a program that for any reason is your black beast in the sense you never can defeat it and on the contrary, he ever defeat you?
I have that experience with the full range of Morsch programs. I can beat or draw even stronger programs, at least occasionally, but never a Morsch one.
And it is always the same: I fight with my best concentration but sooner or later the rogue get a pawn and is all over.
So....

going back to Spracklen stuff regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Josef

Post by Josef »

Morsch programs defeat me always, but not Bronstein :)

[Event "Aegon 1994"]
[Site "Den Haag"]
[Date "1994.05.02"]
[Round "4"]
[White "David Bronstein"]
[Black "Saitek Brute Force"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.e4 c6 2.d3 d5 3.Nd2 dxe4 4.dxe4 e5 5.Ngf3 Bc5 6.c3 Qc7 7.Nc4 Nf6
8.b4 Be7 9.Ncxe5 Nxe4 10.Bc4 Nd6 11.Bb3 Nd7 12.Bf4 Nxe5 13.Nxe5 Qb6
14.O-O O-O 15.Re1 Re8 16.Nxf7 Nxf7 17.Qh5 Be6 18.Rxe6 Qd8 19.Rh6 Qd5
20.Bxd5 cxd5 21.Rxh7 Bf6 22.g4 Bxc3 23.g5 Nh6 24.g6 Rad8 25.Rh8+ Kxh8
26.Bxh6 Kg8 27.Bg5 Bf6 28.Bxf6 Re1+ 29.Kg2 Rg1+ 30.Kxg1
1-0
mauben

Post by mauben »

Morsch programs in any of their permutation always defeated me, maybe a draw or two when I managed to get to the ending and the beast decided to go to perpetual check o repetition. I actually developed a kind of hate against Morsch, but plan to buy the Mephisto Chess Challenger (or any clone) to try the "adaptive levels".

Also never won against the Vancouver / London 68020 at any level outside the "easy".

Mephisto MMIV and Polgar were less of a problem, able to score a win here & there.

If I want some quick gratification, I fire up the Fidelity Excellence and win in 12 moves with the Fried Liver.

Best,

Mauro
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

mauben wrote:Morsch programs in any of their permutation always defeated me, maybe a draw or two when I managed to get to the ending and the beast decided to go to perpetual check o repetition. I actually developed a kind of hate against Morsch, but plan to buy the Mephisto Chess Challenger (or any clone) to try the "adaptive levels".

Also never won against the Vancouver / London 68020 at any level outside the "easy".

Mephisto MMIV and Polgar were less of a problem, able to score a win here & there.

If I want some quick gratification, I fire up the Fidelity Excellence and win in 12 moves with the Fried Liver.

There are, also, bad days and even weeks. THIS week I have been twice beaten by Chessmaster 2000, a venerable dinosaur, although now running in a fast computer is a lot more dangerous than it was in the times of the 286 processors.

Fern

Best,

Mauro
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Fern,

The only hint I have for beating a Morsch is to try to exchange queens and get into the endgame. That is supposed to be its weak spot...

Best regards
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

paulwise3 wrote:Fern,

The only hint I have for beating a Morsch is to try to exchange queens and get into the endgame. That is supposed to be its weak spot...

Best regards
Paul
Thanks, but my philosophy is to get fun, not to win. So I am not in a hurry to reach the ending...which is the part I know the less....
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: The Black Beast Case

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:Have you a program that for any reason is your black beast in the sense you never can defeat it and on the contrary, he ever defeat you?
I have that experience with the full range of Morsch programs. I can beat or draw even stronger programs, at least occasionally, but never a Morsch one.
And it is always the same: I fight with my best concentration but sooner or later the rogue get a pawn and is all over.
So....

going back to Spracklen stuff regards
Fern
I remember my first experience with a Morsch program. It was the
little Fidelity Travelmaster, the one with the folding board guaranteed
to fail after a couple of weeks. It came as a shock to get it's sharp
attacking style after the quite and predictable Spracklen style. You
know I did'nt even have time to get the hang of the options menu
before the Travelmaster bit the dust.
Morsch program chess comps would be highly sought after if they were
not so common. The way to beat them, IMO, is to try to avoid
complications and favour quickly swapping down to an ending, where
it is not as good.
L
mauben

Post by mauben »

Nice to read on how to beat a Morsch.

I have just got a (visually new) Master Chess from ebay, should receive it by next week (no way to source an Atlanta, aside from a scammer 10 days ago). Will try the "early endgame by exchange" strategy with the Master Morsch.

Very little hope to get to the endgame, though, as some years ago the President Exclusive I bought my nephew for his birthday badly treated my London 68020 (probably 20 vs 12 MHz totally made up for any software and ram differences in favour of the London).

Still looking for the Mephisto Chess Challenger, before my wife skyballs and throws away the whole stack of boards.

Best,

Mauro
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Larry wrote: ....
it is not as good.
L
I quite agree with you Larry. Although the Super Constellation has a cult status, I think highly of for instance the Mephisto Europa, which also makes speculative sacrifices another computer would not even "think" of. Not always correct, but very exiting to see it happening.

Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Larry

Post by Larry »

paulwise3 wrote:
Larry wrote: ....
it is not as good.
L
I quite agree with you Larry. Although the Super Constellation has a cult status, I think highly of for instance the Mephisto Europa, which also makes speculative sacrifices another computer would not even "think" of. Not always correct, but very exiting to see it happening.

Paul
Yep, bought myself a Europa some years back. I was the only bidder, paid
on eBay and picked it up in person. There was nobody home but the lady
left the Europa hidden in the front garden, all complete and minty. I think
it was $15. Didn't use it much until recently, only bought it
because the price was irresistible. It's now one of my favourites because
of its style and I'm in with a fighting chance against it. I recommend you
all get one if you haven't already. You see them almost daily on eBay.
also a Morsch...
L