Just got Hiarcs for Mac...

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

...And I have a question about playing styles. The manual says there are multiple playing styles, from raw beginner to grandmaster, and various styles of playing. All I've seen so far is the ability to adjust the strength from ELO 750 up and the ability to play a "strong," "aggressive" or "solid" game. (Or something like that, don't know if those are the exact words.) Are there other options I'm not seeing. That doesn't seem as wide-ranging and flexible as the manual implies.

That's it. Thanks.

John
Josef

Post by Josef »

You can configure also a Book mode (4 modes) and others. There are all Engine options.

http://www.hiarcs.com/pc_uci_options.htm
John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

Thanks. Now I have another question. :) I notice my clocks keep resetting. I have them set for 120 mins for one game, but when I quit out and return later the clocks are reset to 2:00:00 and start counting down again. Anyone know what this is about? Thx.
Josef

Post by Josef »

My program is not resetting the clocks, when I close and open it, the program set time and position correctly.
John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

That's really weird. I'm wondering if I'm doing something differently. How do you get back into a game after exiting the program? I bring it up and get a board that's at starting position, with the window saying "New Database" by default. To get the game I was playing I go to File/Open recent and select "PlayedGames.pgn." I then select my game in the window on the bottom of the screen ("Game explorer") and the go to Play/From current position.

I do this because when I open the game the screen's always set at "New Database." But I just noticed that on another computer where I installed the program, it just opens to the game I'm playing and lets me close on that game while it just autosaves without even asking.

So I'm confused... :) And the documentation is not the greatest.
herO

Re: Just got Hiarcs for Mac...

Post by herO »

John_Grabowski wrote:That's really weird. I'm wondering if I'm doing something differently. How do you get back into a game after exiting the program? I bring it up and get a board that's at starting position, with the window saying "New Database" by default. To get the game I was playing I go to File/Open recent and select "PlayedGames.pgn." I then select my game in the window on the bottom of the screen ("Game explorer") and the go to Play/From current position.

I do this because when I open the game the screen's always set at "New Database." But I just noticed that on another computer where I installed the program, it just opens to the game I'm playing and lets me close on that game while it just autosaves without even asking.

So I'm confused... :) And the documentation is not the greatest.
Your clock does not reset at all. Your clock settings are set to 2 hours again, because you choosed start A NEW GAME! from the current position :) If you just want to quit the application when you are playing the game, just quit the application. Do not abort the game.
John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

When I quit the app it asks me to save, as either 1-0, 0-1, * or don't save.

So I save it as something, usually * because I'm not finished.

When I return I'm in the New Database screen. To get to my game again the only way I know how is to reload it by searching under playedgames.png and then resuming from current position.

I can't quit or close in any way without getting the "do you want to save 1-0, 0-1, * or don't save" message.

Is there any other way to do it?
John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

...And I should say it asks me each time to save the game before quitting, and then reloads in the "New database" mode and makes me start a new game from the position to resume my game, whether I choose "quit" when I exit or just "close."
herO

Post by herO »

John_Grabowski wrote:When I quit the app it asks me to save, as either 1-0, 0-1, * or don't save.

So I save it as something, usually * because I'm not finished.

When I return I'm in the New Database screen. To get to my game again the only way I know how is to reload it by searching under playedgames.png and then resuming from current position.

I can't quit or close in any way without getting the "do you want to save 1-0, 0-1, * or don't save" message.

Is there any other way to do it?
It seems you have older version of HCE. Please upgrade your HCE to the newest version 1.9.1. You are "forced" abort the game in version 1.9, but it was a bug. It is now fixed in version 1.9.1.
John_Grabowski

Post subject: Re: Just got Hiarcs for Mac

Post by John_Grabowski »

Thanks. Where's the link to upgrade?
herO

Re: Post subject: Re: Just got Hiarcs for Mac

Post by herO »

John_Grabowski wrote:Thanks. Where's the link to upgrade?
You have two options how to do it.

First:
1. Open Hiarcs Chess Explorer application.
2. Click on the Help menu.
3. Choose "Check for updates".

Second:
1. Open your browser.
2. Visit page http://www.hiarcs.com/hce/pc-v190.htm
3. Download the file HCE 1.9.1.
4. Install newest version.
John_Grabowski

Re: Just got Hiarcs for Mac Reply with quote

Post by John_Grabowski »

I should have told you I have the Mac version.

According to the website, 1.9 is latest for Mac, and that's what I have. Also, this doesn't explain why I have this "bug" on one computer but not another even though I downloaded the same exact software to both.
John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

I just sent an email to Mark U. Maybe he has some answers... :)
John_Grabowski

Post by John_Grabowski »

He did. He forgot to put up the link to the Mac update! It works now.

Sigh...Mac is always relegated to the back. :)

John