Mephisto boards Module compatibility question

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
trontreez

Mephisto boards Module compatibility question

Post by trontreez »

Are all Mephisto boards compatible with all modules (8/16/32-bit)? I have an Exclusive board that came with an MMIV module. Is it safe to put a 32-bit Lyon module with power adapter in the Exclusive board? Can I also put the MMIV module in a Munchen-S board?

Thanks,
tt
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Mephisto boards Module compatibility question

Post by Steve B »

trontreez wrote:Are all Mephisto boards compatible with all modules (8/16/32-bit)? I have an Exclusive board that came with an MMIV module. Is it safe to put a 32-bit Lyon module with power adapter in the Exclusive board? Can I also put the MMIV module in a Munchen-S board?

Thanks,
tt
Hi TT

That question is often asked and there are several threads about this here
all Mephisto boards will take all 8 bit modules
the first boards that could use the 16/32 modules were designated with an S meaning they can also take the 16/32 bit modules
the confusion arises because Mephisto dropped the S designation eventually.. so there are non S designated boards out there that cannot take 16/32 modules(made before the release of 16/32 modules) and non S designated boards that can take them(made after Mephisto dropped the S designation)
by power adaptor..i am assuming you mean the Mephisto adaptor module
yes that would be safe and should work

Pre and Post S Regards
Steve
xchessg

Re: Mephisto boards Module compatibility question

Post by xchessg »

trontreez wrote:Are all Mephisto boards compatible with all modules (8/16/32-bit)? I have an Exclusive board that came with an MMIV module. Is it safe to put a 32-bit Lyon module with power adapter in the Exclusive board? Can I also put the MMIV module in a Munchen-S board?

Thanks,
tt
Hi!

Beware with the Munchen S, it puts the voltage "in" directly onto the modules! So you would need a 5V output adapter with the Munchen S. The exclusive came with a 9V adapter, so don't put this one on the Munchen S! You'll fry the LCD Module for a start!

Mephisto released the Portorose-Lyon-Vancouver series Modul sets with Module power adapters (9V in 5V out). I hope you mean this with "power adapter", then you'll be on the save side with any board. The only thing is then that power cord in front of you. Chances are that (IF the Exclusive came originally with the MMIV) that you could run the Lyon with the power cord on the side (The board regulates the 9V in to 5V on the modules). It might also have the oldest regulator (giving "about" 6V on the modules), can't see that from here... Try it, if the Lyon LCD is much brighter with the power on the side, don't trust it then...

Xavier
dedicate computers

Munchen S - Exclusive board

Post by dedicate computers »

Hi!

Beware with the Munchen S, it puts the voltage "in" directly onto the modules! So you would need a 5V output adapter with the Munchen S. The exclusive came with a 9V adapter, so don't put this one on the Munchen S! You'll fry the LCD Module for a start!

Mephisto released the Portorose-Lyon-Vancouver series Modul sets with Module power adapters (9V in 5V out). I hope you mean this with "power adapter", then you'll be on the save side with any board. The only thing is then that power cord in front of you. Chances are that (IF the Exclusive came originally with the MMIV) that you could run the Lyon with the power cord on the side (The board regulates the 9V in to 5V on the modules). It might also have the oldest regulator (giving "about" 6V on the modules), can't see that from here... Try it, if the Lyon LCD is much brighter with the power on the side, don't trust it then...
The modules are expensive and need to be protected. I'm sure many of the collectors of this site has the expertise necessary to recognize when an exclusive or muchen boards have proper protection. Some collectors have chosen to put a regular voltage into the board itself, avoiding excess voltage. Internally, if I'm not mistaken, the modules work with 5 volts. Am I correct?

Regards
Oswaldo
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Thanks for the input guys. Pun intended. Yes I meant the adapter modul and not power adapter. I've tested the 32-bit Lyon in the Exclusive board using the adapter modul and it seems to work fine. So I guess I have a non-S designated Exclusive S.

Now to get my MMIV working in the Munchen S I need a 5V DC with how many mA? Or can I use Lyon 32-bit adapter modul with the MMIV in the Munchen?

Also is there any reason why Mephisto just didn't release a 5V AC adapter with the Munchen boards?

Btw my HGN 5001 (for exclusive) is 8V, 250mA
and the HGN 5009 A (adapter modul) is 9V, 500mA

Many Thanks,

tt
xchessg

Post by xchessg »

trontreez wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Pun intended. Yes I meant the adapter modul and not power adapter. I've tested the 32-bit Lyon in the Exclusive board using the adapter modul and it seems to work fine. So I guess I have a non-S designated Exclusive S.

Now to get my MMIV working in the Munchen S I need a 5V DC with how many mA? Or can I use Lyon 32-bit adapter modul with the MMIV in the Munchen?

Also is there any reason why Mephisto just didn't release a 5V AC adapter with the Munchen boards?

Btw my HGN 5001 (for exclusive) is 8V, 250mA
and the HGN 5009 A (adapter modul) is 9V, 500mA

Many Thanks,

tt
Hi,

The S (S for stupid idea?) series was just a bad idea from Mephisto. Selling unregulated boards together with non too sofisticated power adapters was asking for trouble. They did release an adapter 5004 with 5V, for running 68000 modules with the power cord on the side. You could buy a modern regulated power adapter and set it on 5V for the MMIV in the S. Minimal 250 mA, more is no problem! Running the MMIV in the S with the Lyon adapter (with the 5009A in, suspect 5001 might be to weak) should work too.

Xavier