Timed out and disappeared

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Ron

Timed out and disappeared

Post by Ron »

Hi, forum people,
Last night I purchased Hiarcs 11.2 MP, and loaded the engine unto my Fritz 10 program. It loaded fine, although the opening book says it's fritz 10, but as I understand it, because of the openings book publisher it won't say Hiarcs 11 book. Anyway, I decided to have an engine match with it against Fritz 10 - a 3 game blitz tournament 10 minutes a game. the 1st game they drew, the second game fritz won but the 3rd game they made 14 moves and then Hiarcs didn't make another move and timed out. What's more, it was no longer in the Fritz program. It had just upped and gone. Can anyone suggest why this happened?
Would love to know. :)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Timed out and disappeared

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Ron wrote:Hi, forum people,
Last night I purchased Hiarcs 11.2 MP, and loaded the engine unto my Fritz 10 program. It loaded fine, although the opening book says it's fritz 10, but as I understand it, because of the openings book publisher it won't say Hiarcs 11 book. Anyway, I decided to have an engine match with it against Fritz 10 - a 3 game blitz tournament 10 minutes a game. the 1st game they drew, the second game fritz won but the 3rd game they made 14 moves and then Hiarcs didn't make another move and timed out. What's more, it was no longer in the Fritz program. It had just upped and gone. Can anyone suggest why this happened?
Would love to know. :)
Hi Ron,

First of all welcome to the forum. I will try to answer your questions - first the opening book.

Hiarcs runs as a UCI engine inside your ChessBase(Fritz) GUI. It has its own opening book which is not in the ChessBase .ctg format. If you want Hiarcs to use its own book you must unload the F10 opening book or Hiarcs will use this. You can do this by Edit/Openings Book/Book Options then untick use book.

Now you say the engine is gone?! Click on Engine and then Change Main Engine you should then see Hiarcs 11.2 as one of the available engines. Please select it and it will load.

If it is not there try create UCI engine again.

you can also read:
PC faq: http://www.hiarcs.com/pcuci_faq.htm

If this does not help please email me by using the button below.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Ron

Post by Ron »

Thanks for that, Harvey,
I have to confess I didn't know how to turn off Fritz 10 book. I can play chess, but I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to computers. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know what a GUI is really 'cept that I suspect it relates to a chess program. :D Hiarcs 11.2 wasn't in the fritz engines - as I said, it had upped and gone, but I did manage to get it back again by re-installing and re-loading. Perhaps you could tell me what is likely to be a drain on my CPU.
Thanks for the help, I'll see what hppens. Ron 8)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi Ron,

I am glad you have it working again. Hiarcs if you let it will take 100% of your CPU. To get the most out of any Chess engine you should let it use 100% CPU.

The engine is the program that plays Chess. The GUI is the Interface the engine sits in - in your case the one that came with the Fritz Chess engine.

I hope that helps and enjoy Hiarcs!

Harvey
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Ron wrote:Thanks for that, Harvey,
I have to confess I didn't know how to turn off Fritz 10 book. I can play chess, but I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to computers. I am ashamed to admit that I don't know what a GUI is really 'cept that I suspect it relates to a chess program. :D Hiarcs 11.2 wasn't in the fritz engines - as I said, it had upped and gone, but I did manage to get it back again by re-installing and re-loading. Perhaps you could tell me what is likely to be a drain on my CPU.
Thanks for the help, I'll see what hppens. Ron 8)
Hi,
To turn off the book just go to TOOLS and then click BOOK OPTIONS and take the ticks out

Regards