Hiarcs 14

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Hiarcs 14

Post by Harvey Williamson »

http://www.hiarcs.com/pc_chess_hiarcs.htm

HIARCS World Champion version single and multiprocessor UCI chess engine
Significant strength increase over HIARCS 13
The chess engine generally used by the current World Chess Champion Vishy Anand
World's strongest commercial tournament openings book accessible directly through the engine
Engine book and position learning are built-in helping HIARCS improve as it plays or analyses
Full set of configurable HIARCS UCI engine parameters
UCI compatibility including FRC/Chess960 allowing integration into any GUI supporting UCI
User defined playing strengths with realistic human like play with playing styles
HIARCS engines are 32 bit and thus compatible with BOTH 32 and 64 bit Windows operating systems
Strongest ever HIARCS chess engine, significantly stronger than HIARCS 13 by about a 100 Elo
Flexible user-friendly license
FREE updates in the HIARCS 14 series when available
Includes discount coupon for book subscription product from www.hiarcs.com (valid until 31st May 2012)
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werner
CEGT

Post by Werner »

Hi Harvey, hi Mark,
20 days after announcment I would ask: what is soon?
Werner
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Werner wrote:Hi Harvey, hi Mark,
20 days after announcment I would ask: what is soon?
Werner
This is like next day compared to a Rybkaesque soon.
Werner
CEGT

Post by Werner »

tomgdrums wrote:This is like next day compared to a Rybkaesque soon.
...I don´t hope we have a " Rybkaesque " here

Werner
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Werner wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:This is like next day compared to a Rybkaesque soon.
...I don´t hope we have a " Rybkaesque " here

Werner
I think it is just because they hope to bundle the new Hiarcs with the new GUI.

And I for one am pretty excited about the new GUI!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

That is correct, I need to make sure the engine, installation and licensing works with Chess Explorer and is handled seamlessly. There are various product options and purchase or upgrade possibilities so that explains why these things can take longer than expected.

It is much better for me to sort this out before release. Had we not been releasing Chess Explorer I would of probably released Hiarcs 14 some time ago.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Mark Uniacke wrote:That is correct, I need to make sure the engine, installation and licensing works with Chess Explorer and is handled seamlessly. There are various product options and purchase or upgrade possibilities so that explains why these things can take longer than expected.

It is much better for me to sort this out before release. Had we not been releasing Chess Explorer I would of probably released Hiarcs 14 some time ago.
I think in this case it is good to be patient! Especially with the new GUI coming out as well.
jm_thompson

Post by jm_thompson »

Hello Mark and everyone, this is my first post :)

I know you are working hard on Chess Explorer and Hiarcs 14 but I would like to know if you can tell us what's the expected release date.

Can we say Chess Explorer and Hiarcs 14 will be available by the end of March?

An other question: in the Chess Explorer web page I read about a New Hiarcs Chess Server. Can you tell us if it's a chess playing server? It's something like PlayChess? Or is it just a server for downloading updates, etc directly from the GUI?
Of course I hope it's the former :)

Thanks a lot if you will answer.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Apologies for the delay in responding.

The chess server is not currently ready for inter customer play but will offer useful innovative services which we plan to grow over time.

We have not set an official release date and cannot until we have passed beta2 and are preparing the release candidate. For us the date is less important than the content and quality.

I know everyone is interested in getting it as soon as possible (I get lots of emails about it almost daily), but please understand we are working very hard on this project and have been for a long time. As a result I think the quality of the product will be very high and that can only be good for all our customers.

http://www.hiarcs.com/chess-explorer.htm
Best wishes,
Mark

Darkpass3nger

HIARCS 14 and HIARCS 15

Post by Darkpass3nger »

Hi Mark, first of all I would like to congratulate you for your amazing original chess engine and for the results HIARCS had had in the past in official tournaments! I also want to ask you if there is any chance to see HIARCS 14 released by the end of this April and if you intend to develop a 64 bit version of HIARCS 15 for the future. I remember HIARCS won the 2011 World Chess Software Championship and it was on 64 bit. It provided a very strong and powerfull chess. Do you know if there will be upgrades of DEEP JUNIOR 13 in the near future?
Best regards,
Catalin
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Hiarcs 14 will be released before the end of April with Chess Explorer.

Hiarcs 14 is still 32 bit and it won the title using the 32 bit version.

I do plan a 64 bit Hiarcs 15.

I am not aware of a Deep Junior 13 upgrade in the near future.
Best wishes,
Mark

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Hiarcs 14 will be released before the end of April with Chess Explorer.

Looking forward to it, but don't let anybody pressure you into releasing it before you're 100% happy about doing so. :)
Darkpass3nger

DEEP HIARCS 14

Post by Darkpass3nger »

Thank you very much Mark for the provided information!
Best regards,
Catalin
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Graham Banks wrote:
Mark Uniacke wrote:Hiarcs 14 will be released before the end of April with Chess Explorer.

Looking forward to it, but don't let anybody pressure you into releasing it before you're 100% happy about doing so. :)
I think on most ratings lists there is almost no difference between 32 and 64 bit versions of engines like Shredder and Junior. It is just a 64 bit compile of the 32bit engine that will alllow you to set a hash table > 2gb. Personally I would like to see a noticeable speed up from 64 bit before releasing.
Peter Grayson

Post by Peter Grayson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:It is just a 64 bit compile of the 32bit engine that will alllow you to set a hash table > 2gb.
Hi Harvey,

With more recent Windows updates it seems that XP Home W32 has capped engines at 1Gb hash max. In Chessbase up to GUI 11, Arena 3 and Deep Shredder 10, engines return a Windows "Error" or "Caused an exception" message when trying to load more than 1GB hash. HIARCS 13.2 MP or SP do not give error message, according to Task Manager they just limit hash to 1Gb and continue OK.

Stockfish, Critter, Deep Rybka and Houdini all return error messages.

No issues in XP 64 bit.

Regards,
Peter