Chess Genius 7.2 on a laptop v Palm Hiarcs

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Clive

Chess Genius 7.2 on a laptop v Palm Hiarcs

Post by Clive »

I thought it might be interesting to hold a small tournament between Palm Hiarcs 9.6 running on my Palm Zire 21 (126MHz 8MB Ram) and Chess Genius Classic 7.2 running on an old Pentium 166 MHz laptop with 32MB Ram and running Windows 98se.

I am sending the results to Eric Hallsworth for the Selective Search magazine however Harvey Williamson has asked me to post here as well so here we go.

According to Selective Search Chess Genius on a 166MHz machine should be about 2400elo.

Genius is of course the Richard Lang program that beat Gary Kasparov at Game in 25 at the Intel Rapid play in 1994. Then it was running on a P133 machine.

The Genius program has always been a favourite of mine and was always the program to beat years ago. Of course now it has slipped out of contention as it has been very hard to improve the program which had been compiled in Machine code. Using machine code is great for speed and interfacing with a processor as any ZX Spectrum user will tell you, but of course it is very unfriendly to use or modify.

Now the Palm Hiarcs 9.6 is a very selective engine running on much slower hardware (Zire 21) and cannot hope to keep up with the node search rate of Genius. However it has a much more up to date program with an excellent strategic feel for the game. But can this be enough to overcome the mighty Genius?

The rating of Palm Hiarcs 9.6 on my Zire 21 is around 2500elo. This would suggest a possible 6-4 victory to Hiarcs over a 10 game match.

I am very familiar with the Genius program running on dedicated machines and I think it will be hard to beat on a 166MHz laptop against a Palm Zire 21 running Hiarcs

So the prove is in the pudding a 10 game match at Game in 60 mins.
Palm Hiarcs is running on it optimised setting with the massive opening book and 312KB Hash.
Chess Genius 7.2 is running with 8MB Hash.
Both programs are thinking in opponents time (Ponder on)

I will post the first game this evening. Anyone care to predict the result?

Best regards

Clive
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi Clive,

I look forward to the games/scores but if Hiarcs does not win i will delete your a/c instantly ;-)

Great tournament!

Harvey
Clive

Post by Clive »

I have spoken to Eric and we have decided to keep these games as an “exclusive” for Selective Search. Once they appear in the magazine I will post the results and games here.

Best Clive
pedrox

Re: Chess Genius 7.2 on a laptop v Palm Hiarcs

Post by pedrox »

I am waiting for the result.

In principle, the 2 programs work in similar slow machines (similar MHz), and given the difference of ELO of about 200 points from a program to another, I could think that Hiarcs is favorite.

On the other hand Hiarcs is going to work with very little hash and the program of Richard Lang works very well in computers few powerfull.

So I do not know anything clearly the result.

For days I have been test TOGA 1.2.1a and Fruit 2.3.1 on pocketpc (266 MHz 8 Mb hash) against my DanaSah program (2500 ELO int 2400 Mhz 64 Mb hash) in a PC, I leave the results here in case they can be of interest.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... =&start=10

Pedro
Clive

Post by Clive »

pedrox wrote:I am waiting for the result.

In principle, the 2 programs work in similar slow machines (similar MHz), and given the difference of ELO of about 200 points from a program to another, I could think that Hiarcs is favorite.

On the other hand Hiarcs is going to work with very little hash and the program of Richard Lang works very well in computers few powerfull.

So I do not know anything clearly the result.

For days I have been test TOGA 1.2.1a and Fruit 2.3.1 on pocketpc (266 MHz 8 Mb hash) against my DanaSah program (2500 ELO int 2400 Mhz 64 Mb hash) in a PC, I leave the results here in case they can be of interest.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... =&start=10

Pedro

Hi Pedro

What would DanaSahs rating be on a P166MHz PC do you think?

Best regards

Clive
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

Clive wrote:Hi Pedro

What would DanaSahs rating be on a P166MHz PC do you think?

Best regards

Clive
According to the theory by which you win 50 points of ELO whenever you double the speed I could consider for DanaSah in a pentium 166 MHz about 2250 points of ELO. (version 3.13 has 2530 ELO in CCRL in 4600 MHz)

Pedro