Zappa v Rybka in Mexico - More Breaking News!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Zappa v Rybka in Mexico - More Breaking News!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Dear All,

I can exclusively reveal the proposed schedule for Mexico:

Hiarcs forum always first with breaking News :)

Harvey

17th Sep – Rybka’s team arrival in Mexico

18th Sep – Erdo’s arrival; Rybka team will get the computers for the games (the computers ordered before)

8 core 5355 so 8x2.66 with 8gb of ram

19th Sep – press-conference for journalists before the match; the tuning of the computers by both teams

20th Sep – 1 game

21st Sep – 2 game

22nd Sep – 3 and 4 games

23rd Sep – 5 game

24th Sep – 6 game

25th Sep – 7 game

26th Sep – 8 and 9 games

27th Sep – 10 game

28th Sep – final press-conference for journalists after the match

29th Sep – departure from Mexico

Will all have tablebases provided or do they have to bring their own? Would be nice to see same for both!?
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Hmmm...

I thought you were going to post:

27th Sep - Rybka loses the match to Zappa decisively ;)
Ankan

Post by Ankan »

I predict 6.5-3.5 in favor of Rybka.
Sebastian Boehme

Post by Sebastian Boehme »

Hey guys,

that would be so sweet to see Zappa crushing the fish. Since december 2005 this little stinky fish is now dominating our computer chess world and I really really would welcome a change.

If there is need of more Rybka barbecue recipes let me know :wink:

Regards,
Sebastian
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Sebastian Boehme wrote:to see Zappa crushing the fish
I think that is next to impossible. Zappa may win, but not by a large margin.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I predict result of 5.5:4.5

I do not predict which program is going to win.
I hope rybka but I already took enough risk to be wrong when I predicted 5.5:4.5 so I do not like to take another risk.

Uri
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

There will be a New Zappa Mexico released and it will be UCI. There may even be a surprise for those Linux freaks err I mean users ;-)

From Anthony:

Retirement
I put up my retirement notice on 8/2006, and at that point I stated that it would be quite some time before the next Zappa version. One year and two versions later, I feel the need to make a small explanation. When I was approached for a Zappa-Rybka match in Mexico City, I figured that I sort of owed it to sponsors to do a little work on the engine. Since I have qualifying exams this semseter, that turned out to be about 8 days of work, which means I'm still 97.8% retired. So perhaps the new statement should: retired unless receiving expense paid tournament invites to exotic locations.

After I finished, I was going to release this version for free after the match, an idea that I have been flirting with for some time. However, in the end I decided it would be silly to turn down a little free money. Also, my opening booker quit his job for a month to work on the book for the Mexico match, and I didn't want him on the streets begging for crusts of bread. A significant fraction of the proceeds go to this. I do not expect there is a big improvement between Zap!Chess Zanzibar and Zappa Mexico - perhaps 25 elo, at most 50. I simply didn't have the time to test everything, and one can only do so much in 8 days of part-time work. However, this version does have a few advantages: UCI and Linux compatible, plays legal chess moves, lowers blood pressure, and reduces global warming. Unfortunately the name is not nearly as cool (it's hard to follow Zanzibar). I wanted the Applesque "Zappa X" but was outvoted 2:1 for "Zappa Mexico", which partially makes up in clarity what it lacks in style.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Harvey Williamson wrote:There will be a New Zappa Mexico released and it will be UCI. There may even be a surprise for those Linux freaks err I mean users ;-)

From Anthony:

Retirement
I put up my retirement notice on 8/2006, and at that point I stated that it would be quite some time before the next Zappa version. One year and two versions later, I feel the need to make a small explanation. When I was approached for a Zappa-Rybka match in Mexico City, I figured that I sort of owed it to sponsors to do a little work on the engine. Since I have qualifying exams this semseter, that turned out to be about 8 days of work, which means I'm still 97.8% retired. So perhaps the new statement should: retired unless receiving expense paid tournament invites to exotic locations.

After I finished, I was going to release this version for free after the match, an idea that I have been flirting with for some time. However, in the end I decided it would be silly to turn down a little free money. Also, my opening booker quit his job for a month to work on the book for the Mexico match, and I didn't want him on the streets begging for crusts of bread. A significant fraction of the proceeds go to this. I do not expect there is a big improvement between Zap!Chess Zanzibar and Zappa Mexico - perhaps 25 elo, at most 50. I simply didn't have the time to test everything, and one can only do so much in 8 days of part-time work. However, this version does have a few advantages: UCI and Linux compatible, plays legal chess moves, lowers blood pressure, and reduces global warming. Unfortunately the name is not nearly as cool (it's hard to follow Zanzibar). I wanted the Applesque "Zappa X" but was outvoted 2:1 for "Zappa Mexico", which partially makes up in clarity what it lacks in style.

People find it hard to believe the claim that Zappa got that improvement
in that short time because programmers at that level usually work many months to get a similiar improvement.

Anthony is clearly quilty of lying or of arrogance(in case that what he claims is correct).

Note also that in case that the programmer make automatic test of the possibility to change parameters that help him later to make the program stronger then it means that he is not retired even if does not work on the engine.

Uri
Silvian Rucsandescu

Engine matter

Post by Silvian Rucsandescu »

Uri Blass wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:There will be a New Zappa Mexico released and it will be UCI. There may even be a surprise for those Linux freaks err I mean users ;-)

From Anthony:

Retirement

in that short time because programmers at that level usually work many months to get a similiar improvement.

Anthony is clearly quilty of lying or of arrogance(in case that what he claims is correct).

Note also that in case that the programmer make automatic test of the possibility to change parameters that help him later to make the program stronger then it means that he is not retired even if does not work on the engine.

Uri
Hi Uri !

Important is te engine itself.
Otherwise the world in which we lived is essential immoral.
Anthony is just a great talent and a free spirit !
The manner & the priorities in which he manages his time resources is a private problem.
Regards,
Silvian
O tempora , o mores !
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

I love this place.
Here is a true chess forum not a dogmatic club like CCC.
Bravo Mark ! Bravo Harvey !
Hi Silvian,

Please post much more often if you are going to end all your posts like this. :D

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Silvian Rucsandescu

Yes-of course !

Post by Silvian Rucsandescu »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
I love this place.
Here is a true chess forum not a dogmatic club like CCC.
Bravo Mark ! Bravo Harvey !
Hi Silvian,

Please post much more often if you are going to end all your posts like this. :D

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Hi Harvey !

Yes -you are right! Just I wait for Hiarcs 12!

All the best ,
Silvian
O tempora , o mores !
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Uri Blass wrote:

From Anthony:

Retirement

Uri
Uri, I think you are out of order.

A chess programmer can work for months and make no real improvement, then he can work for one night and make 40 Elo. This has happened to me a number of times.

Sometimes when only working in the spare time it can help, thoughts clarify in the mind over time and suddenly a new idea to test something or try something else is triggered and sometimes it works. I worked in my spare time on Hiarcs for many years so I know this is true.

Anthony, is clearly a very talented guy and instead of taking what he says on face value you jumped to conclusions.

I say Bravo Zappa!

I thought everyone knew all us chess programmers share a cookie jar of ideas and had an agreement to only take out a new idea once a year! :?

So Anthony, well done, but no new versions until 2008 please as we all need time to catch up! :wink:
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Mark Uniacke wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

From Anthony:

Retirement

Uri

A chess programmer can work for months and make no real improvement, then he can work for one night and make 40 Elo. This has happened to me a number of times.

Sometimes when only working in the spare time it can help, thoughts clarify in the mind over time and suddenly a new idea to test something or try something else is triggered and sometimes it works. I worked in my spare time on Hiarcs for many years so I know this is true.

Anthony, is clearly a very talented guy and instead of taking what he says on face value you jumped to conclusions.

I say Bravo Zappa!

I thought everyone knew all us chess programmers share a cookie jar of ideas and had an agreement to only take out a new idea once a year! :?

So Anthony, well done, but no new versions until 2008 please as we all need time to catch up! :wink:
Mark,I know that improvement is not proportional to time but you never said that you are retired from computer chess(and there is a difference between being retired and not working full time job on a program).

The problem is that this is the second improvement that anthony got after claiming that he is retired(the first improvement of 100 elo from paderborn to zanzibar was even more impressive).

Here is another opinion about it of George Tsavdaris

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... 2#pid25802

"40 ELO in a week!
Do you believe he is a magician, he is amazingly good at programming for many CPU's or that he works on Zappa more than he says....?

I believe the last 2 BTW. And while i like the 2nd, i don't like the 3rd....."
Uri
gerold

Post by gerold »

Mark Uniacke wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:

From Anthony:

Retirement

Uri

I say Bravo Zappa!

Thanks for the nice post Mark. I agree with you about part time work
sometimes makes more progress. Working hard on a project and
taking a break once in a while can produce some nice results.

Very best to you,

Gerold.