Erdo the Oracle!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Ted Summers

Erdo the Oracle!

Post by Ted Summers »

Larry Kaufman Writes:

"The loss in the 180 move game was actually predicted by the opposing operator during the period when both programs scored it as around +1.80, because he knew that Rybka would shed a pawn to avoid 50 move rule draw. This can only be considered bad luck, as if Rybka didn´t do this it would have saved this game, but would sometimes cost half a point in other games. Maybe we need a far more complicated rule to cover the 50 move rule situations in the future, but we have many higher priority things to do first."

Erdo the Oracle! That's what I'll call you from now on ..., Keep those predictions coming my man!

PS: Larry it can also be considered SMART thinking on Erdo's part.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Erdo the Oracle!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Ted Summers wrote:Larry Kaufman Writes:

"The loss in the 180 move game was actually predicted by the opposing operator during the period when both programs scored it as around +1.80, because he knew that Rybka would shed a pawn to avoid 50 move rule draw. This can only be considered bad luck, as if Rybka didn´t do this it would have saved this game, but would sometimes cost half a point in other games. Maybe we need a far more complicated rule to cover the 50 move rule situations in the future, but we have many higher priority things to do first."

Erdo the Oracle! That's what I'll call you from now on ..., Keep those predictions coming my man!
Hi Ted,

Nice quote! Bad Luck or Erdo knowing Rybka better than the Rybka team!?

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Uri Blass

Re: Erdo the Oracle!

Post by Uri Blass »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Ted Summers wrote:Larry Kaufman Writes:

Hi Ted,

Nice quote! Bad Luck or Erdo knowing Rybka better than the Rybka team!?

Best Wishes,

Harvey
This is not about knowing rybka.
If you see that a program evaluates drawn position as a big advantage then it is logical to think that there are winning chances for that reason.

Uri
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi Uri,

So not bad luck. Just superior knowledge by Erdo!

Best Wishes,

Harvey