Optimistic and extended search

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

peter

Optimistic and extended search

Post by peter »

Hi!
About these two options: noticing both are turned off by default for Hiarcs Paderborn and on for H12, what is the main difference? I only read in FAQ at homepage, optimistic search is sometimes in "wild" positions better to be turned off. Does extended search mean mainly the number or the depth of singular extensions?
Thanks and regards
Peter.
peter

Re: Optimistic and extended search

Post by peter »

peter wrote:Hi!
About these two options: noticing both are turned off by default for Hiarcs Paderborn and on for H12, what is the main difference? I only read in FAQ at homepage, optimistic search is sometimes in "wild" positions better to be turned off. Does extended search mean mainly the number or the depth of singular extensions?
Thanks and regards
Peter.
Now that nobody has answered my question for a week, I begin to ask myself wether my question was rather too stupid or to clever ;-)
R.P.
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Now that nobody has answered my question for a week, I begin to ask myself wether my question was rather too stupid or to clever :wink:
Well, your question was a bit weird. How do you even know Hiarcs uses the singular extension? And why do you think the parameter doesn't affect other extensions?
peter

Post by peter »

Vempele wrote:
Now that nobody has answered my question for a week, I begin to ask myself wether my question was rather too stupid or to clever :wink:
Well, your question was a bit weird. How do you even know Hiarcs uses the singular extension? And why do you think the parameter doesn't affect other extensions?
Well, of course I don't know, especially what singular extensions means as for Hiarcs, but therefore I asked for it ;-)
Don't care for the word singular, that's just old glossary perhaps, maybe qsearch is more modern for what I mean.
The option is called extended search, so I'd like to know more about it, don't you or do you? If you do, please tell me ;-)
R.P.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Singular extensions have always been important for Hiarcs but not in the conventional sense.

The Optimisitic Search setting is something quite different and affects the search tree shape based on chess knowledge. This should result in improvements in game play but may do worse on tactical tests where it is more important to search wild looking variations.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
peter

Post by peter »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Singular extensions have always been important for Hiarcs but not in the conventional sense.

The Optimisitic Search setting is something quite different and affects the search tree shape based on chess knowledge. This should result in improvements in game play but may do worse on tactical tests where it is more important to search wild looking variations.
Thanks for your answer, Mark! So if I got you right, optimistic search makes the tree less broad and therefore deeper, as for extended search is that so also or are extensions just added. I mean tactical tests are they better to be solved with extended search on and is it the same for H12 as for Paderborn? I guess sharpen PV of H12 helps in tactical tests also or doesn't it?
Thanks and regards again
Peter.