Postion learning feature

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

PortCitySlim

Postion learning feature

Post by PortCitySlim »

Could somebody help explain the position learning feature to me? If HIARCS is capable of learning to play better with every game it plays then how come it don't eventually learn to play chess perfectly? Am I misunderstanding this feature? Say for instance, I had HIARCS play 1000 games against Rybka would HIARCS have a higher chance of beating Rybka on the 1001st game then on the 1st game? If so then can this be saved and if so why not test it as many times possible against Rybka therefore making HIARCS stronger then Rybka?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Postion learning feature

Post by Harvey Williamson »

PortCitySlim wrote:Could somebody help explain the position learning feature to me? If HIARCS is capable of learning to play better with every game it plays then how come it don't eventually learn to play chess perfectly? Am I misunderstanding this feature? Say for instance, I had HIARCS play 1000 games against Rybka would HIARCS have a higher chance of beating Rybka on the 1001st game then on the 1st game? If so then can this be saved and if so why not test it as many times possible against Rybka therefore making HIARCS stronger then Rybka?
Hiarcs will learn the more you play with it and ifyou try to repeat a game that it lost it may try a different line. I think there is a long way to go before any engine plays perfect Chess.

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1110 This ratings list is run with book and position learning on.
billyraybar

Post by billyraybar »

Does Hiarcs position learning only work if the Hiarcs engine book is used?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

billyraybar wrote:Does Hiarcs position learning only work if the Hiarcs engine book is used?
Book and engine learning are totally separate things.
billyraybar

Post by billyraybar »

Fantastic. Thanks.
peter

Re: Postion learning feature

Post by peter »

[quote="Harvey Williamson"][quote="PortCitySlim"]Could somebody help explain the position learning feature to me? If HIARCS is capable of learning to play better with every game it plays then how come it don't eventually learn to play chess perfectly? Am I misunderstanding this feature? Say for instance, I had HIARCS play 1000 games against Rybka would HIARCS have a higher chance of beating Rybka on the 1001st game then on the 1st game? If so then can this be saved and if so why not test it as many times possible against Rybka therefore making HIARCS stronger then Rybka?[/quote]

Hiarcs will learn the more you play with it and ifyou try to repeat a game that it lost it may try a different line. I think there is a long way to go before any engine plays perfect Chess.

http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1110 This ratings list is run with book and position learning on.[/quote]

As Mark told me by mail, I use my old h11.2.lrn renaming it for H12. Now I've started to use HPB2007 too, I don't see any new .lrn. Does it ues the same as H12?
Thanks a lot in advance
regards Peter.
regards
Peter.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think H11 stores learning in
the same directory as the engine file, whereas for H12 it's a completely
different folder, as per http://hiarcs.com/pc_uci_options.htm#folders

Andrew
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Andrew wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think H11 stores learning in

Andrew
Yes your right. So you can use your 11.2.lrn renamed but you will have to move it to the folder described in the FAQ.
peter

Post by peter »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Andrew wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think H11 stores learning in

Andrew
Yes your right. So you can use your 11.2.lrn renamed but you will have to move it to the folder described in the FAQ.
My question above did not quote, mabe my options for that were wrong, so I try it again. After renaming 11.2.lrn ro H12.lrn and copying it to the applications/roaming/Hiarcs12 folder, I guess it is used by H12 instead of a new one. What about Hiarcs Paderborn 2007? Does it need an own one or the same as H12?
Many thanks in advance
regards Peter.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Paderborn will make its own .lrn but you can replace it in the same way.
peter

Post by peter »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Paderborn will make its own .lrn but you can replace it in the same way.
Thank you, Harvey, in the meantime I've already found it, seems Paderborn must be started for a second time, the .lrn is to be seen.
Regards Peter.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

peter wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Paderborn will make its own .lrn but you can replace it in the same way.
Thank you, Harvey, in the meantime I've already found it, seems Paderborn must be started for a second time, the .lrn is to be seen.
Regards Peter.
It should be made the 1st time you unload the engine. Glad you found it!

Best Wishes,
Harvey
PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

What is the best book setting to use for engine room matches on playchess? I started out using normal and then switched to optimize setting. thanks
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

PortCitySlim wrote:What is the best book setting to use for engine room matches on playchess? I started out using normal and then switched to optimize setting. thanks
I assume you mean for the book? Yes optimise it.