Hiarcs for Palm - overclocking ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Mark Mason

Hiarcs for Palm - overclocking ?

Post by Mark Mason »

Hi,

I am currently running Hiarcs 9.6 (excellent program - thanks Hiarcs) on my Palm Tungsten T3 - 400MHz ARMS Processor. I have recently experimented with overclocking the T3 using both Afterburner and Lightspeed - both available for free trial.

I have followed all the guidance and overclocked the CPU for the Hiarcs 9.6 application up to high levels. However, on running position analysis Hiarcs doesn't seem to be reaching ply depth levels any quicker than before the overrclock. Also I have run a couple of the benchmark utilities for Palm and don't sem to be getting any visible gains.

Has anyone else experimented with this ? I would be interested in your results and findings and to know whther I'm not using the overclocking correctly or maybe I'm expecting too much ?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

I actually rechecked the way I was using Lightspeed and found that I had it in disabled mode - have now enabled it and it is working very well. I overclocked the Palm 9.6 by 50% and it has significantly increased the speed of the engine. From a 1.e4 start position the time taken to reach search depth 8 has speeded up from 17 seconds (default) to 5 seconds !! It has been stable with no issues.

If anyone else is interested in this I would recommmend Lightspeed v2.0 which you can download from http://www.clievideo.com/

Although I use it for overclocking the chess engine performance, interestingly you can also use this to underclock the PDA to extend battery life - useful as palm Tungsten T3 battery life can be short.

Mark
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Mark Mason wrote:I actually rechecked the way I was using Lightspeed and found that I had it in disabled mode - have now enabled it and it is working very well. I overclocked the Palm 9.6 by 50% and it has significantly increased the speed of the engine. From a 1.e4 start position the time taken to reach search depth 8 has speeded up from 17 seconds (default) to 5 seconds !! It has been stable with no issues.

If anyone else is interested in this I would recommmend Lightspeed v2.0 which you can download from http://www.clievideo.com/

Although I use it for overclocking the chess engine performance, interestingly you can also use this to underclock the PDA to extend battery life - useful as palm Tungsten T3 battery life can be short.

Mark
Thanks for that Mark. A very fast Palm, but I imagine a 50% overclock will really hit the battery though.

I still have my T3 and it is easily my favourite Palm.

I had to replace the battery about a year ago and that was a tricky job :shock:
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com