HIARCS and books...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Henrik Dinesen

HIARCS and books...

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Using several interfaces, but for some actions like engine matches and tournaments, I have this bad habit of prefaring the ones from CB.

As it stands, I see that since Hiarcs 10, there has been no Hiarcs solled via Chessbase, and therefore (or is it ?) no new Hiarcs book from Eric.

So far my approach has been to make a copy of Hiarcs10.ctg for each new Hiarcs version, and work with it from there. Even though I had Hiarcs 10 from CB, I got the UCI version too (a soul-believer in the UCI format).

With Rybka you a) get a formal rybka.ctg b) a bunch of super-good books in addition, and many in different formats.

How about something of the kind for Hiarcs-UCI customer? :)

Best
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: HIARCS and books...

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Henrik Dinesen wrote:Using several interfaces, but for some actions like engine matches and tournaments, I have this bad habit of prefaring the ones from CB.

As it stands, I see that since Hiarcs 10, there has been no Hiarcs solled via Chessbase, and therefore (or is it ?) no new Hiarcs book from Eric.

So far my approach has been to make a copy of Hiarcs10.ctg for each new Hiarcs version, and work with it from there. Even though I had Hiarcs 10 from CB, I got the UCI version too (a soul-believer in the UCI format).

With Rybka you a) get a formal rybka.ctg b) a bunch of super-good books in addition, and many in different formats.

How about something of the kind for Hiarcs-UCI customer? :)

Best
Hi Henrik,

What you don't get with Rybka is one universal book you can use in any interface that is controlled by the program. With Hiarcs UCI you get a book that learns and can be used in any interface.

In CB you get a book that works only in CB etc and is controlled by the GUI.

For the last few releases the book has been done by Eric and Mark not Eric exclusively.

I also use mainly CB but I now make a very small private CB .ctg book and load this as well as the Hiarcs native book. The .ctg will always be used by the GUI 1st.

If anyone like Mr. Schnapp would like to make some alternative books then that would be very interesting.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

If anyone like Mr. Schnapp would like to make some alternative books then that would be very interesting.
I agree to that :-)
When people like Harry & co works, we get something very useful - baked beans & chilli for Wael ;) (that's a thump up)