HIARCS Headbangers vs Highendman - Game 2 - (1/2 - 1/2)

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

15.Bf4 for us
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Thank you.

15. ..Nh5
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

16.Bh2 :)
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Thanks.

16. ..Qe7
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

17.Be2 for us
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Thank you.

17. ..Rg5
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

we play 18.Bd6
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

I trust you've seen that black now has imho a forcing drawing line?
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

well I noted you alluded to this but edited your post yesterday :D
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

:lol:
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

Hi, I'm back.

I have a suggestion: in the event I'll need to take another work related time-out, I'll let you know before you need to move (like I did this time) but then your team shouldn't play your move until I'm back - i.e. your side should get the extra clock time while the time-out takes place. I feel uncomfortable having had extra time for this move even though I didn't use it to analyse.

What I did do, is spend time thinking during my flight back to London this afternoon on this position. I just have to share my thought process with you - I know it's not a typical thing to do in the middle of a game, but I got so intrigued that I just have to share this with someone. And as I'm not allowed to consult with anyone per Dark-Horse match rules, you're the only party available :)

I don't expect an answer though, at least not until after the match.

When I played 14. ..Rxe5, I had the following line in mind (imho all moves by both sides are pretty much forced or at least best though I could be wrong and you've find something different for White) -

14... Rxe5 15. Bf4 Nh5 16. Bh2 Qe7 17. Be2 Rg5 18. Bd6 Bxh3 19. Bxh5 Bd4+ 20. Qxd4 Rxg2+ 21. Kh1 Qh4 22. Rf4 Qg3 23. Rf2 Qxf2 24. Qxf2 Rxf2 25. Be2 Rd8 26. Bc5 Bg2+ 27. Kg1 (or Kh2 - not sure what's better) Rxe2 28. Nxe2 Bxe4

And that's why I said that I believe black has a forcing drawing line after you followed up with 18. Bd6 which was the move I expected.

Now, during my flight back I started thinking about that end-game position. I love end-games - my first Cluster win was via a nice end-game manoeuvre. And a sense of danger / paranoia is vital here hehe.

And I started thinking that you may be seeing a lot further, and allowed this sort of position trying to lure me into this end-game, and actually if you find a way to exchange the Q side pawns (instead of being left with a 'blind bishop' and A pawn, or letting me exchange my bishop for your knight - both were my drawing plans) then you could try to win my king side pawns via opposition and moving your king forward - and with all pawns off the board - I'm toast. White wins.

So when I arrived home now I started analysing this ending a bit deeper with the computer. And the computer is quite happy that black holds the draw. But computers suck at these sort of long term end-game plan finding. At least the only engine I know and use is terrible at that.

So now I need to figure out whether Black can hold a draw there, or do I need to go for the far worse continuation on move 18, which is something I never planned before.

Well, the net of this excessive and uncalled for sharing of information from my end is that IF your team has indeed analysed this ending as far back as move 14 (which I did) however you have found a winning plan for white (which I now mentally formulated, but not yet confirmed or refuted) and you allowed me to aspire to reach this ending under my initial false feel that it's a drawn ending - then I am super awe struck and just got a sense of how deep and far one needs to look ahead in a correspondence chess game and what sort of decoy plan one needs to employ in order to win this sort of game.

I'm curious as hell to see your analysis after the game is over and see if that's indeed what you've planned to do / reach!

Anyway - I have until Friday morning to decide what to do next per Dark-Horse note to me. I'm going to have to use every bit of it. As paranoia has struck and my sense of danger / fear is now high.

Hope you take this bla bla from me in a good spirit, as you like me share the passion for this game and the excitement I had now thinking that you may have set such a long term trap for me just amazed me.

Stay tuned for my move soon :roll:
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Excellent stuff! its quite amazing how deep your insight is, I would be very interested to know your plan if we had played 8.dxe5 as well

Lots of stuff for the post mortem, but that does not mean we cant have a fun chat during the game too :D
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

I am away from home at the moment and unable to play an active part in the game. I thought I would have a quick look to see if I could see what the teams current plans are and give you some clues. Well at the moment they are talking about ZZ Top. I hope this helps :-)
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

lol :lol:
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I am away from home at the moment and unable to play an active part in the game. I thought I would have a quick look to see if I could see what the teams current plans are and give you some clues. Well at the moment they are talking about ZZ Top. I hope this helps :-)
Hey Harvey!! no revealing our secret discussions :P