David Overton v Hiarcs Headbangers - Draw

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

hi we play 34...b6
overtond

Post by overtond »

Hi Folks,

Yep, early response as both H12 and I expected this - in fact we offer you the following conditional: 35.axb6 cxb6 36.Ke2 a5 37.Kd2

Now, where are you going to put your Bishop g6 or perhaps b3 or perhaps you have a better line than the one offered?

ATB
David
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Hi David,

to help us learn more about the game, did you think White could draw after 35.Ke2 ? certainly 35...bxa5 does not seem to help Black's cause, if this intrudes on analysis that could be relevant to the current position I understand if you would prefer to discuss this point after the game, or if you would prefer not to discuss it at all

thanks in advance
overtond

Post by overtond »

Good morning folks,

Sorry about the delay in answering, away most of yesterday. While I'm on the subject of leave I'm away next week (fly out to NI Mon night, back Wed night) also I have a holiday planned from 3-17 April.

I would be very happy to provide my reasoning behind my moves and my assessment (and H12s of course) on the position.

As I'm sure most of you know, where the pawns are equal (and on the same side of the board!) a knight would be superior, in our position this is not the case. Your bishop has a large role to play in the outcome of this game and with best play suspect can edge this one.

I agree with you when you say bxa5 does not help which is why I thought long and hard over axb6. The moves I spent most time analysing were axb6, Ke2 (Ke1 for a time) and Ne5. I think Ne5 is probably worth more time than I gave it (about two hours) - my chess is compromised a little at the moment and sometime the time-slicing I apply compromises some of the ideas I have. So in the end I spent most time weighing up the pro and cons of axb6 and Ke2. Just a quick H12 comment at this stage - on my laptop H12 only looked at two moves, axb6 and Ke2 - this was very re-assuring to me as I have come to rely on H12 as an analyst partner. On the other hand, H12 scored both moves at around -1 :-(

So, why not Ke2. Well the first thing to tell you is that axb6 does not preclude Ke2 next, where as, Ke2 could go several ways. Clearly white has to re-position the king as the only way for white to save this is with the support of the king. If I had played Ke2 and you had continued bxa5 then one of the lines I had analysed led to a win for black and knowing that amount of computing power you have would have thought you will easily find this line.

35.axb6 gives black some decisions to make; I'm hoping you won't make the right ones! :-)

ATB
David
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Hi, we accept the conditional and play 37...Bb3
overtond

Post by overtond »

Hi Folks,

Then I continue 38.Ng5 (H12 suggested two possible lines of continuation - 38.Ng5 and 38.Ne5)

ATB
David
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Hi we play 38...h6
overtond

Post by overtond »

Hi Folks,

39.Nf3

ATB
David
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

David.......Dark Horse seems to missing so I'll post in her absence.

39...Bd5
overtond

Post by overtond »

No problem Jeb.

I play 40.Ne1 and offer your team a draw.

Kind regards,
David
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

Hi David,

The Headbangers accept the draw offer. This was a very interesting middle game, probably a lot of food for thought on the roads not taken. Great choice of a starting position!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Dark Horse wrote:Hi David,

The Headbangers accept the draw offer. This was a very interesting middle game, probably a lot of food for thought on the roads not taken. Great choice of a starting position!
Hi David,

Thanks from me also for an interesting game. I hope you will help the team in our next game v Corr. GM Tony Hedlund starting on Saturday. You can follow our discussion of the game here http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... &start=105 We will start a new thread soon for the game v Tony.

Best Wishes,
Harvey
overtond

Post by overtond »

Thanks everyone for the game and for your acceptance of my draw offer.

I would like to participate in the game versus Tony although I will be away between 3-17 April.

Again, many thanks for the game.

Kind regards,
David
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

David....Thanks for an outstanding game. You, with some laptop HIARCS assistance, proved to be unbeatable.
Yes, please stay for all our upcoming games; the next against Tony Hedlund. Should be lots of fun and we can sure use your vote.

Also, see the "Hiarcs Headbangers are Back! --> Hiarcs Headbangers Game Schedule, Join Now!" thread, end of page 2. We are proposing a second game with you.

Thanks Again
James