DOS programs running on different platforms

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
TracySMiller

DOS programs running on different platforms

Post by TracySMiller »

Greetings,

While preparing for the Arasan vs Defenchess FINALS, I'm also going to start another experiment involving DOS chess programs and how differently they run on three different platforms: DOSBOX, QEMU, and pure DOS (as implemented through VirtualBox). You may recall I tried this before, using REBEL 8 against Millennium King Performance, before losing interest and moving on. I was also experiencing technical issues getting REBEL to run smoothly on Virtual Box. Here's the thread: https://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php ... it=Rebel+6.

Just to summarize, MKP defeated REBEL 8 (DOSBox) 7.0-3.0. MKP then eaked out a 5.5-4.5 victory over REBEL 8 (QEMU). I had played the first game of MKP vs. REBEL 8 (pure DOS), which REBEL 8 won when I abandoned the experiment. I'm going to try again now, but using Fritz 3 instead of REBEL 8. I have a year more experience now with VirtualBox, plus Fritz 3 seems to be a lot more stable than REBEL 8 was, so this time I hope to complete the experiment.

I'll use 10 game matches as before. First up will be Millennium King Performance vs. Fritz 3 (DOSBox). Any takers as to the result?
Tibono2

Re: DOS programs running on different platforms

Post by Tibono2 »

TracySMiller wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:13 pmI'll use 10 game matches as before. First up will be Millennium King Performance vs. Fritz 3 (DOSBox). Any takers as to the result?
Hello Tracy, yes, my bet is a win by Fritz 3 (DOSBox) 6-4 to the MKP.
Cheers,
Eric
CANARISTUDIO

Post by CANARISTUDIO »

Hello !
I just bought the wonderful Millenium King Performance 2 month ago, so very excited to know the result against Fritz 3.0 ! :D :D :D
TracySMiller

MKP vs Fritz 3 (DOSBox)

Post by TracySMiller »

The Millennium King Performance draws first blood against Fritz 3 running on DOSBox. The game was tight until about move 35, when Black infiltrated White's position with its Knights and a strong passed pawn. MKP ended the game with a cute Queen sacrifice to mate on move 61. MKP leads the match 1-0.

WHITE Fritz 3 (DOSBox)
BLACK Millennium King Performance
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

MKP vs Fritz 3 (DOSBox)

Post by TracySMiller »

Both sides played very well and accurately in this tough draw in a Scandanavian Defense (or as we called it in my day, the Center-Counter). Millennium King Performance leads the match 1.5-0.5.

WHITE Millennium King Performance
BLACK Fritz 3 (DOSBox)
RESULT 0.5-0.5

TracySMiller

MKP vs Fritz 3 (DOSBox)

Post by TracySMiller »

Millennium King Performance plays a stronger endgame, penetrating with its King and parlaying its a-pawn into a Queen. The MKP takes a 2.5-0.5 lead.

WHITE Fritz 3 (DOSBox)
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Millennium King Performance crushes Fritz 3 (DOSBox) tactically by massing its heavy pieces on the e-file, and taking advantage of Black's failure to castle. MKP now leads 3.5-0.5.

WHITE Millennium King Performance
BLACK Fritz 3 (DOSBox)
RESULT 1-0

TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Millennium King Performance rolls over Fritz 3 (DOSBox) by sacrificing the Bishop on h3 to invade with the Queen, then brings in the deadly Knight to close the deal. MKP now has a commanding 4.5-0.5 lead.

WHITE Fritz 3 (DOSBox)
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Millennium King Performance played the Four Pawn's Attack against the Alekhine Defense and totally blindsided Fritz 3 (DOSBox). Fritz mishandled the opening so badly that by move 8 analysis showed MKP already with a +2.8 advantage. By move 23 there was already a forced mate, and MKP finished things off in 34 moves, while Fritz 3 never got its Queen's Rook and Knight off the starting squares. MKP now leads 5.5-0.5.

WHITE Millennium King Performace
BLACK Fritz 3 (DOSBox)
RESULT 1-0