New tournament with lots of different AIs

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
TracySMiller

New tournament with lots of different AIs

Post by TracySMiller »

I decided to play a little tournament with a huge mixture of chess AIs: dedicateds, old DOS programs, windows Chess programs, and strong chess engines. Field of 16 will battle it out for the honor of facing Stockfish 13. Participants are (from highest seed to lowest):

1. Arasan 23.31
2. Defenschess 2.2
3. DGT Centaur
4. Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition
5. Millennium King Performance
6. Mephisto Master
7. Novag Citrine
8. MChess 8
9. Mephisto MMV
10. Tasc R40
11. Rebel 12
12. Kasparov's Gambit
13. Excalibur Grandmaster
14. Radio Shack 1850
15. Radio Shack 1650 Fast response
16. Fidelity Chess Challenger 7

Round One will be Best of 6. Round Two will be Best of 8. Quarterfinals will be Best of 10. Finals will be Best of 12. Championship match vs. Stockfish will be Best of 24.
TracySMiller

Round One, Match 1, Game 1.

Post by TracySMiller »

The first match will be #1 seed Arasan 23.3 vs. #16 seed Fidelity Chess Challenger 7. Best of 6 games. I realize that these first few matches will be beatdowns. But this tournament will be a good way to get my computers out again after a few years of inactivity and make sure they're all still working!

Game One goes to Arasan. A miniature showing the massive discrepancies in strengths, like me playing Magnus Carlsen.

Arasan leads 1-0.

WHITE Fidelity Chess Challenger 7
BLACK Arasan 23.3
RESULT 0-1
TracySMiller

Round One, Match 1, Game 2

Post by TracySMiller »

Another beatdown. Arasan leads 2-0.

WHITE Arasan 23.3
BLACK Fidelity Chess Challenger 7
RESULT 1-0

TracySMiller

Re: New tournament with lots of different AIs

Post by TracySMiller »

Fidelity Chess Challenger 7 makes it 27 moves this game. Getting slightly better. Arasan now leads 3-0.

WHITE Fidelity Chess Challenger 7
BLACK Arasan 23.3
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Arasan puts Fidelity Chess Challenger 7 out of its misery with a lovely King hunt ending in pretty Knight checkmate. Arasan wins the match 4-0 and advances to Round Two.

WHITE Arasan 23.3
BLACK Fidelity Chess Challenger 7
RESULT 1-0

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 2

Post by TracySMiller »

The next match pits #2 seed Defenschess 2.2 against #15 seed Radio Shack 1650 Fast Response. Again, this will be Best of 6.

The first game goes to Defenschess in a tactical obliteration. Defenschess leads 1-0.

WHITE Radio Shack 1650 Fast Response
BLACK Defenschess 2.2
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 2

Post by TracySMiller »

Radio Shack 1650 makes it 31 moves, but Defenschess is still way too strong for it, and makes a pretty Queen sacrifice to finish the game. Defenschess leads 2-0.

WHITE Defenschess 2.2
BLACK Radio Shack 1650 Fast Response
RESULT 1-0

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 2

Post by TracySMiller »

Defenschess continues brutalizing Radio Shack 1650, although the little RS unit made it 32 moves, the longest resistance yet in this tournament. Defenschess leads 3-0.

WHITE Radio Shack 1650 Fast Response
BLACK Defenschess 2.2
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 2

Post by TracySMiller »

Defenschess ends the match with a miniature involving the Nxf7 sacrifice to draw the King out into the open. The game didn't last too long after that. Humorous to see Black's Queen, both Rooks, and a Bishop still sitting on their starting squares.

Defenschess wins the match 4-0 and advances to Round Two.

WHITE Defenschess 2.2
BLACK Radio Shack 1650 Fast Response
RESULT 1-0

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 3

Post by TracySMiller »

The next match features #3 seed DGT Centaur vs. #14 seed Radio Shack 1850. Best of 6.

The first game saw the immense tactical prowess of DGT Centaur as it engaged in a complex combination that saw it emerge victorious. There was a cute underpromotion to a Knight. I usually play these games out to mate, but my cat stepped on the board and screwed something up, and I didn't feel like fixing it, since we were obviously just a few moves from mate regardless.

DGT Centaur leads the match 1-0.

WHITE Radio Shack 1850
BLACK DGT Centaur
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 3

Post by TracySMiller »

The amazing DGT Centaur unleashes a brutal attack against the enemy King and finishes the game in 27 moves. The DGT Centaur leads the match 2-0.

WHITE DGT Centaur
BLACK Radio Shack 1850
RESULT 1-0

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 3

Post by TracySMiller »

More bloodshed from the powerful DGT Centaur, which this time finishes things up in 23 moves. DGT Centaur now leads the match 3-0.

WHITE Radio Shack 1850
BLACK DGT Centaur
RESULT 0-1

TracySMiller

Round One, Match 3

Post by TracySMiller »

The DGT Centaur finishes the match in the same fashion as the other three games, with a quick, brutal attack on the King. DGT Centaur wins the match 4-0 and advances to Round Two.

WHITE DGT Centaur
BLACK Radio Shack 1850
RESULT 1-0

Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi Tracy,
which time control are you please using in this tournament?
About the Centaur: are you using an adaptative level, or (I assume so) full strength?
And you listed some DOS programs, what are the conditions to run them (which hardware PC or which emulator performance setting?)
Sorry for the burst of questions! (that's the consequence of your tournament triggering some interest :wink: )
Cheers,
Eric
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Good questions! I'm using 30 sec/move average time control. For the DGT Centaur, I'm using full strength (not adaptive). I'm running the DOS programs under the QEMU emulator on my AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six-core 3.4 GHz processor, so the DOS programs are going to be pretty strong. The Fidelty Chess Challenger 7 and TASC R40 I'm using the great program CB-Emu to emulate, so they'll play at their usual strength. All the other dedicateds are actual chess machines I own.