How to move back one move instead of two?

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

zoekatya

How to move back one move instead of two?

Post by zoekatya »

When I move then the computer moves and then I press the back button it moves the computers mover back plus my move. I just want to move the computers move back (one move) so I can make the computer play a different move against me like in Arena. Can you do this in Hiarcs? I'm hoping it is as flexible as Arena.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I think we discussed this by email, but I will add the response here and some thoughts:

When you are playing the computer, you have one side and the computer has the other, if we just moved back one move (ply) then it would be the computers move but it would not be thinking, this would affect the clock and effectively change sides as you would have the option to move for your opponent.

If you want to see if the computer will change its mind, takeback, then play your move again.

Our point is variations don’t happen in a real game, so by mixing analysis and play it devalues the focus of a game. If a different line from the computer is desired, this can be more difficult but it can done post game, by loading the game in analysis and adding the move and using Play->From current position.

This is not like a GUI which mixes both analysis and play but that has disadvantages too. We will consider how it might be achieved in Play mode itself but it would invalidate a rated game, since entering moves for the opponent is not usual.

I should add finally that it is possible at any time to play from any position in game by using the Play->From current position menu item. This can be used post game to try out different variations. However I do recognise this is more steps than you are looking for hence we will discuss what can be done to make more flexibility where the player does not want rated games but just to try out things in play mode.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com