Move Advice - Hints - Previous Games - Backup !

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Nerissa

Move Advice - Hints - Previous Games - Backup !

Post by Nerissa »

Hi,

I'm new to HIARCS, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

'While I'm playing' a game against the computer; I'd like to see a list of suggested moves, rather than having to press the Hint Button. Once the opening moves are over (book), I don't get a list of suggestions / Hints ? (unless I press the hint button) Thought I'd get lots of moves to select from, based on previous games and the HIARCS engine ? Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a way 'while playing' that HIARCS can display previous games in the various database or databases where the same moves (positions) have been played and what moves were taken next ?

I assume if I want to play a 2 player game, where I make both the moves for Black and White I have to use the 'Make a game' option...

Finally, it would be nice that I could have the option to save my databases in any location on my PC (like Dropbox) so they are always backed up...

A great piece of software, but 'very complicated' to drive... I've been through the videos but still working to learn all the options...

Thank you !
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

If you have guess move on, it will give hints on the quality of the destination move for any selected piece in play mode, this gives a wide variety of hints.

Databases are not available while playing since there is not a database in context, the purpose of play mode is to provide a more disciplined playing mode focused on chess play. The analysis/database tabs can be used for in depth analysis and database references although this seems more relevent to post game analysis than in play.

During play a variety of books can be accessed which give games statistics often deep into the game.

I do not know what you mean by "Make a game" as we dont have anything with that description, to play 2 player you can use a database and Game->new game which allows moves for both sides.

You can create a database in any location the OS allows you access to. Equally you can copy databases (they are in the HIARCS Chess/Databases folder normally unless they have been saved elsewhere).

The overwhelming feedback I have received is how easy and straightfoward the product is to use, I guess it does depend on what people are use to. Please feel free to email me where you find the product difficult to use, all input is considered as HCE advances.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Nerissa

Backup

Post by Nerissa »

Yes, I'm sure the OS allows me access, however it would be much easier and save the user having to manually copy files if they could simply change the default location the files are stored! Not the best suggestion recommending users have to use the OS to get the required functionality !

I'm sure you have had lots of people save how marvellous the software is; however as someone who has never used a chess program it takes a lot of getting used to...

I thought as the IPad version continually made suggestions while playing the PC version would to!

Is there a way I can run two games at once ?

Is there a way I can search the database for games which have a specific position / moves ?

Thanks.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

You can select in HIARCS Chess Explorer where you create a database, you don't need to use OS tools, you use the HCE File->New.. menu then you can select where on your computer you place the file using the Where: selector in the dialog. We make the Databases folder the default location after install because that is a sensible place to put a PGN database. You do not have to use it.

Of course to copy files Mac OS provides Finder and that is way to move, copy files etc.

Regarding hints, there is one main suggestion, the hint, there are more suggestions whenever a piece is selected as is provided on the iOS version. The only difference as you pointed out is that the HIARCS Chess iOS version does give a list of moves in algebraic notation in play mode. In analysis you can ask many suggestions using the lines field of the Analysis Explorer.

You can only play one game at a time, however you can analyse and open as many databases or games as you want.

Any database opened in a tab can be searched for position or header info.

To search for a position use the Search->Position menu item where you can set up whatever position you want and search for it in the database.

Alternatively and much more common when you are following a game or variation in a database tab you can open the Opening Explorer view select source=database and click the Show games button and all the games for the current position will be shown in the game list.

You can also lock the function by clicking the padlock and then every time the position changes on the board the game list will show all the games where that position occurs.

This video may be useful as it mentions position/game search in the context of preparing for opponent, but this can equally be applied to the whole database with the Source= Database or a search with Source=Last search.

http://youtu.be/PgeadgBJfzA
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com