HIARCS chess explorer GUI layout problem on OS X 10.9

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

We do not fully understand why animation had these issues on Mavericks with some customers, on earlier Mac OS versions this was almost never reported by anyone. I have run lots of tests both on idle and with engines using 100% CPU and running videos and no slow down is noticed with animation on our Macs. Having said all that while it is very rare and most customers never see the issue, I know a number of customers with 10.9 who have encountered an issue, sometimes it works and other times not. Also I have noticed some general (non HCE) slow down issues with Mavericks and I am always updating to the latest version while other issues in the OS are resolved.

On PC Windows the animation worked fine in my experience even on the very slowest of netbooks with no graphics card even while running engines 100% and viewing a youtube video.

We decided to delay v1.6 while the animation code has been rewritten to make it more efficient, it is now about 3 times more efficient than in v1.5.1. The new version has been tested on many Macs by all our beta testers and some of the customers reporting the issue in v1.5.1 have also tested it, the feedback has been that the problem is solved, although one person saw a small delay on the slowest animation setting (animation speed is configurable in v1.6).

I am confident you will find v1.6 improved in many areas.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

Looking forward for 1.6!

Macbook Air (late 2011, I5 1.7 GHz, 4 GB RAM, HD 3000) having also the movement issue. OS fully updated with HCE v1.5.1. (if it helps for statistics or anything).
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

Thanks Mark,
I just installed v1.6 and found the fonts to be looking much better and the animation greatly improved. I haven't changed any of the default settings, no need to change the animation even on my very old MacBook. Thanks for the free update!

Regards,
Mickey