Chessbase HIARCS 13 question

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Monsieur Plastique

Chessbase HIARCS 13 question

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Hi,

I was just wondering if the Chessbase user interface packaged with their version of HIARCS 13 is identical to the interface for their Fritz 13 product? I want to use HIARCS 13 on my main PC but would like the interface to be identical to that of Fritz 13 (simply for ease of use and consistency when alternating between my machines).

Secondly, what is the maximum hash table size for the standard version of Chessbase HIARCS 13 if I am running it under Windows 7 64 bit?

Thank you
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Chessbase HIARCS 13 question

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering if the Chessbase user interface packaged with their version of HIARCS 13 is identical to the interface for their Fritz 13 product? I want to use HIARCS 13 on my main PC but would like the interface to be identical to that of Fritz 13 (simply for ease of use and consistency when alternating between my machines).

Secondly, what is the maximum hash table size for the standard version of Chessbase HIARCS 13 if I am running it under Windows 7 64 bit?

Thank you
2048 is the maximum hash you can set for any 32 bit program. I think the gui with H13 is the same as Fritz 12 but not 100% sure. Hiarcs 14 is available from Hiarcs.com
Monsieur Plastique

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the reply. I actually did not realise the "plain" versions of the Chessbase products were 32 bit, but with Fritz 13 it tells me I can allocate 2609 GB to the hash table.

Does this mean that the only way to get a 64 bit program with larger hash tables than this is to buy Deep HIARCS 13 if I want the Chessbase version (which I do)?

I have 16GB RAM on my desktop machine and would like to use some of that for a larger hash table, but at the same time I would like to avoid using too many cores as I want them free for other things.

So if I have a 6 core machine with 16 GB RAM and bought Deep HIARCS, do I have the flexibility to allocate a desired number of cores (I was thinking only 2 cores and about 4 GB for hash tables) as a reasonable improvement over the single core product?

Lastly, do you know when the Chessbase version of HIARCS 14 might get released, since as you say (and now I seem to remember this myself), the user interfaces of the non-Fritz engines lag one generation behind, so HIARCS 14 interface should equal Fritz 13 interface.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Hi Harvey,

Thanks for the reply. I actually did not realise the "plain" versions of the Chessbase products were 32 bit, but that I guess explains why I cannot set the hash table size in Fritz much larger than 2.5 GB.

Does this mean that the only way to get a 64 bit program with larger hash tables is to buy Deep HIARCS 13 if I want the Chessbase version (which I do)?

I have 16GB RAM on my desktop machine and would like to use some of that for a larger hash table, but at the same time I would like to avoid using too many cores as I want them free for other things.

So if I have a 6 core machine with 16 GB RAM and bought Deep HIARCS, do I have the flexibility to allocate a desired number of cores (I was thinking only 2 cores and about 4 GB for hash tables) as a reasonable improvement over the single core product?

Lastly, do you know when the Chessbase version of HIARCS 14 might get released, since as you say (and now I seem to remember this myself), the user interfaces of the non-Fritz engines lag one generation behind, so HIARCS 14 interface should equal Fritz 13 interface.
If you run a 64bit engine in fritz you should be able to allocate a larger hash table but sometimes the gui does not allow it (not sure why). You can get around this by after the engine has loaded right clicking on the engine pane and then click properties and change the hashtable size there. The Fritz engine is only 32 bit so will allow a maximum of 2048.

In Hiarcs Chess explorer you can set any hashtable size you like for 64 bit engines but Hiarcs is still only a 32bit engine so maximum is 2048.

I doubt there will be a CB release of Hiarcs 14.
Monsieur Plastique

Thanks for the very fast reply! Well maybe I had better jump and order CB HIARCS 13 now, as I want the consistency between what I have on my laptop and main machine.

Thanks again
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Thanks for the very fast reply! Well maybe I had better jump and order CB HIARCS 13 now, as I want the consistency between what I have on my laptop and main machine.

Thanks again
if you buy Hiarcs 14 with our new gui you can install it on both machines with no problems.