Opening Books

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Jeremy

Opening Books

Post by Jeremy »

Thank you so much for incorporating an engine-engine facility in the latest update - I have been waiting for this. The large display, playing itself, looks wonderful. A couple of questions - please excuse me if the answers are obvious but I haven't been able to find them. Is it really the case that it is not possible to use the old familiar .ctg opening book files with Hiarcs Chess Explorer? I have been used to using some wonderful and interesting opening books with Fritz etc and would like to use them up against the inbuilt book. Possible? And in any case, what is the trick to enable imported UCI engines to use their opening books OR to change to the inbuilt Hiarcs one? Not in the manual, as far as I could see, and just changing the name of the book in the Engine preferences section does not do anything. Is there a "use opening book" toggle somewhere that I have missed in setting up UCI engines? Help gratefully received!

Jeremy Deane
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

CTG is an opening boof format that is used by the Fritz/Chessbase GUIs and not by the engine itself. It is a format written and owned by Chessbase. There are some tools around that can help you use it but as far as i know none alow the ctg book to learn. Have a look here http://chessok.com/books/BAdapter.html