Small feature request: Remember starting position

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

chrka

Small feature request: Remember starting position

Post by chrka »

It would be nice if HCE would remember the selected starting position (eg. current position or a specific opening) when starting a new game against the computer. Since the list of starting position is so long it's somewhat cumbersome to choose the same position over and over if you want to try out some lines. (I am using the Mac version of HCE.)
packi

Post by packi »

I second that.
Peter Grayson

Re: Small feature request: Remember starting position

Post by Peter Grayson »

chrka wrote:It would be nice if HCE would remember the selected starting position (eg. current position or a specific opening) when starting a new game against the computer. Since the list of starting position is so long it's somewhat cumbersome to choose the same position over and over if you want to try out some lines. (I am using the Mac version of HCE.)
Why not save the position or game so far to an "in work" database or copy position to clipboard? Generally, if analysing from a particular opening move it is useful to save analysis and comments with the game to a database. So after you have selected new game you can just click on the game in the database and select the point in the game to start from.

PeterG
chrka

Re: Small feature request: Remember starting position

Post by chrka »

Peter Grayson wrote: Why not save the position or game so far to an "in work" database or copy position to clipboard? Generally, if analysing from a particular opening move it is useful to save analysis and comments with the game to a database. So after you have selected new game you can just click on the game in the database and select the point in the game to start from.

PeterG
That's pretty much what I do. However, when you start a new game, HCE always reverts the starting position to "[Starting position]". Of course, all I have to do is select "[Current position]" or whatever starting position I want, but since the list is so long it's a bit of a nuisance to find the correct alternative in the list (eg., "[Current position]" always ends up at the very top of the screen on my computer).
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

You can choose "Play->From current position" to achieve what you want.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
chrka

Post by chrka »

Mark Uniacke wrote:You can choose "Play->From current position" to achieve what you want.
Thanks, never noticed that one! I think it would be even better if that one would bypass the dialog and just start a new game (this would make sense if the game dialog would remember the last selected position). I also think that it should have a keyboard shortcut, something like Shift-Command-G for the Mac (a little tip if anyone wants that: in the keyboard settings in System Preferences you can add a custom shortcut for any menu item).