HCE feature requests

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

JamesCoons wrote:
Patatov wrote:Hello,

Can we remove the side to move icon (white or black)?
It will save us some real estate.
And I'd love to be able to rename the engine name in the engine list

Thanks
I agree, remove it, make it narrower, or move it somewhere like the toolbar where it won't take up room.
Please don't remove it. It's important information, and something sorely lacking in CB. Particularly given that the last move isn't highlighted on the board (so I would have otherwise no other way of instantly knowing who has the move without looking at the notation). If you make it smaller or move it somewhere, that's cool, but don't get rid of it entirely, IMO.

It's only ~20 pixels, anyway. I don't know what the big deal is.

jb
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5178

Take a look at the new videos about Hiarcs Chess explorer in the above thread.

Please also have a look at this thread, particularly if you use Linux http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 5790#55790
Patatov

Post by Patatov »

sockmonkey wrote:
JamesCoons wrote:
Patatov wrote:Hello,

Can we remove the side to move icon (white or black)?
It will save us some real estate.
And I'd love to be able to rename the engine name in the engine list

Thanks
I agree, remove it, make it narrower, or move it somewhere like the toolbar where it won't take up room.
Please don't remove it. It's important information, and something sorely lacking in CB. Particularly given that the last move isn't highlighted on the board (so I would have otherwise no other way of instantly knowing who has the move without looking at the notation). If you make it smaller or move it somewhere, that's cool, but don't get rid of it entirely, IMO.

It's only ~20 pixels, anyway. I don't know what the big deal is.

jb
I agree... it should be just a setting you can enable/disable via a check box like you do for coordinates
JamesCoons

Move Indicator

Post by JamesCoons »

I have an idea that you might find appealing. Programmatically you can calculate the width available for the move indicator. It is just the width of the window minus the width of the board. You could make the move indicator adjust its size based on that width available minus small margins ( up to a maximum limit of course ), and to not draw at all if that width is zero or less. Then change the code to allow the user when resizing the window to be able to resize the window down to the board size (not including the move indicator) without shrinking the board. That way the user can get the indicator size he wants just by sizing his window appropriately. I have just implemented this idea for the open source program chessX although the code has yet to be placed into the repository. It is much easier for the user to control to get the move indicator size he wants. Feel free to use my idea for HIARCS.
hana

Post by hana »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Icon sizing has been requested and I will add your vote for it.
The Magic Mouse and Mac Book Pro trackpad response has been improved dramatically in v1.1. We have also changed it so scrolling of moves is only possible in the Board view. The Game Notation pane will scroll the pane.

The folder in Documents can be moved, you will need to tell HCE where it is after you do that and the Recent files will not work since they will all point to the old location.
Hi Mark. I tried moving the folder from Documents, but it does not quite work. First of all, I couldn't figure out how to tell HCE where the new location of the folder is. Also, even after I moved the folder, when I play a game against HIARCS, HCE will make a new folder under Documents and make PlayedGames.pgn under the new folder. How can I properly move the folder under Documents to the new place?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

While you can move the folder and the contents, the PlayedGames database is always saved there.

You can save and read databases from other locations but HCE expects to find the PlayedGames database in Documents/HIARCS Chess/Databases
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
JamesCoons

Re: Move Indicator

Post by JamesCoons »

JamesCoons wrote:I have an idea that you might find appealing. Programmatically you can calculate the width available for the move indicator. It is just the width of the window minus the width of the board. You could make the move indicator adjust its size based on that width available minus small margins ( up to a maximum limit of course ), and to not draw at all if that width is zero or less. Then change the code to allow the user when resizing the window to be able to resize the window down to the board size (not including the move indicator) without shrinking the board. That way the user can get the indicator size he wants just by sizing his window appropriately. I have just implemented this idea for the open source program chessX although the code has yet to be placed into the repository. It is much easier for the user to control to get the move indicator size he wants. Feel free to use my idea for HIARCS.
Actually you won't want to draw if the width available is 8 or less as that will cause flickering when resizing inward as the board will get smaller by 8 pixels at a time.

And you probably shouldn't draw the move indicator to the right of the board in the Position Setup Dialog as it is redundant.
hana

Post by hana »

Mark Uniacke wrote:While you can move the folder and the contents, the PlayedGames database is always saved there.

You can save and read databases from other locations but HCE expects to find the PlayedGames database in Documents/HIARCS Chess/Databases
OK. So, only way I can get away with making a folder under Documents is not to play against HIARCS... I guess I can still use HCE as a database program... Thanks for the reply anyway.
anders

Make the first move of an analysis line

Post by anders »

Hi,

I think it would be useful if it was possible to make the first move of a particular analysis line, in the Analysis Explorer pane, by clicking on the first move or any move (not the evaluation and depth value) of that particular analysis line.
Best wishes,
Anders
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

It is possible to add the move with a variation when clicking the eval/depth as you elluded to, adding just the first move might be useful in multi-pv lines. When lines = 1 the space bar will have that effect since it adds the best move considered by the engine.
Best wishes,
Mark

anders

Post by anders »

Mark Uniacke wrote:It is possible to add the move with a variation when clicking the eval/depth as you elluded to, adding just the first move might be useful in multi-pv lines. When lines = 1 the space bar will have that effect since it adds the best move considered by the engine.
Yes.
My idea was to use clicking in the same way for the single-pv line and multi-pv lines cases.

Anders
frjentsjer

Different font size for display and printing

Post by frjentsjer »

In HCE for Mac the same font is used for the Game Notation pane and for printing.

I'd like to be able to set the Game Notation (screen) font to 15pt, and the printing font to 12pt. Printing at 15pt is a waste of paper, and viewing the Game Notation at 12pt is unnecessarily hard on the eyes...
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks, this has been added to the feature list for a future version.
Best wishes,
Mark

hana

Post by hana »

I have another question regarding moving the HIARCS Chess folder from Documents. After moving the HIARCS Chess folder from Documents, when I play against computer, the computer takes a lot of time playing openings. For example, computer took 13 seconds playing 1.Nf3, which used to be played instantly before I moved the folder. When I put back the HIARCS Chess folder, the computer again starts to play the opening instantly. So, I suspect that I need to specify some folder or a file for the computer to refer to the opening when I move the HIARCS folder, but I cannot figure out how. Thanks.
frjentsjer

Post by frjentsjer »

While entering a new position (Edit > Set up position...) it is useful if the board can be flipped. Could you please consider this feature?