HCE feature requests

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Ton wrote:Back to the command line :-)
Thanks for pointing me to this tool.

Did you manage to run this in OSX Mountain Lion?

I'm going through my 'most used ChessBase features' to see if I can skip MS Windows .
Yes, it works great on 10.8.1.

I think I won't be abandoning CB products in the short term (but for plenty of reasons, not just functionality), but I have a lot of smaller databases (Chess Publishing stuff, for instance) which lend themselves very much to HCE's workflow, and which I was always losing track of in CB (or forgetting to update/convert/consolidate/etc.). Leaving everything in PGN and working on OSX for that material is very comfortable and very welcome.

There are still plenty of features I'd like to see (and I apologize to Mark for the flood of wishful thinking), but for day-to-day work, I'm finding HCE to be a thoroughly viable replacement for the big-n-slow CB monstrosity and am really excited to see how the product develops.

jb
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The feedback I am getting echo's what you are saying Jeremy, many customers are finding HCE easier and faster to work with than CB.

I have asked Harvey to change the thread title to HCE features requests because that is what it has become!
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
JamesC

Feature request

Post by JamesC »

Right-click to retract a move would be useful, and would work well when one accepts the guess move too quickly.
frjentsjer

Post by frjentsjer »

I'd like to be able to set the time control like this:
for each player 105 minutes for 35 moves and then 15 additional minutes to finish the game.
Would this be possible?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Yes, that enhancement is on the todo list for a future version.
Best wishes,
Mark

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I like the new program very much, but would like to have the possibility of playing black but not having the board flipped, i.e., to have black still at the top (as with Sigma).

Also, I would like to be able to change the computer's moves (also as with Sigma).

Are either of these possible? Envisioned?

Thank you,

David
deuts

Re: Missing features?

Post by deuts »

IanO wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll keep Stockfish and cutechess around for engine matches then.

Ian
Unfortunately for me, Stockfish GUI for Mac 2.0.1 is not working anymore with my MBP OS X 10.8.1
JamesC

Sorting

Post by JamesC »

It would be good if sorting on the rounds was in numerical order rather than 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3 etc!
browniesbane

Post by browniesbane »

Another helpful feature would be to be able to read cbase (or exachess) files or at least be able to convert them to PGN. I didn't think this was possible, but I saw a comment on another website to the effect that the parameters of the CBH format are now public.
deuts

Post by deuts »

It would also be helpful if we are given an option to publish the pgn file into an html format complete with diagrams and commentaries.
JamesCoons

Suggestions

Post by JamesCoons »

Allow user to disable the scroll wheel switching moves in the PGN View.
Its horribly broken with Apple Magic Mouse.
JamesCoons

Reducing wasted space

Post by JamesCoons »

Placing the Opening Explorer's Source selection pulldown" and the move indicators on the tool bar would save a lot of wasted space. IMO On small laptops it is important to get as much useful information on the screen as possible.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Improvements to support Magic Mouse better is done.
Best wishes,
Mark

JamesCoons

Magic Mouse Support

Post by JamesCoons »

Mark Uniacke wrote:Improvements to support Magic Mouse better is done.
My mouse thanks you.
JamesCoons

Re: Reducing wasted space

Post by JamesCoons »

JamesCoons wrote:Placing the Opening Explorer's Source selection pulldown" and the move indicators on the tool bar would save a lot of wasted space. IMO On small laptops it is important to get as much useful information on the screen as possible.
Maybe the Opening Explorer's Source selection could be moved into the preferences. Or maybe just a button on the tool bar that pops up the pulldown choices. It takes up a lot of space for something that I usually just set once and forget about.