Chess Explorer

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Jnaud

Post by Jnaud »

Hiarcs 14 will be released before the end of April with Chess Explorer.
This is from M. Uniake in the Hiarcs 14 topic. Therefore I think that spring will end early this year ;)
When you see a good move, look for a better one - Lasker
Jnaud

Post by Jnaud »

I have a question about end game tables in the future Chess Explorer: will it use Nalimov tables or will it use its own tables (like Shredder does for example)?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Jnaud wrote:I have a question about end game tables in the future Chess Explorer: will it use Nalimov tables or will it use its own tables (like Shredder does for example)?
It will use Nalimov. You will also be able to use things like gaviota tbs by setting the path in the engine parameters.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Are there any screenshots to whet our appetite?
Jnaud

Post by Jnaud »

Just to be sure, will it be Chess Explorer that take in charge tablebases or engines? In other words, will using Nalimov or Giavota depend on engines? Will hiarcs be compatible with Giavota tbs?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

HIARCS Chess Explorer utilises tablebases in many ways but also of course allows engines to access them as well. We use Nalimov tablebases.

Once the release candidate is produced I will update the website with more details/shots.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
ghillan

Post by ghillan »

Mark Uniacke wrote: ... Once the release candidate is produced ...
Are you telling me that chess explorer its still beta? If you are not even in first RC, it means that we need to wait months before it will be released.

Im following the development progress for months and this gui seems never come out. First i read "beginning 2012", the march, april, may, and now ( 17 may) its still beta.

Dont know what to think, its just waporware?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

It certainly is not vaporware it is a first class GUI in which we are bringing together innovative features.

The delays have been caused by us under estimating some aspects of the project, the multi-platform nature of the GUI and server and the increasing remit of the GUI which is now an excellent chess database, analysis and playing program.

The final beta has been done and we are close to a release candidate. Due to the extensive coverage of the GUI and engine on platforms, languages and formats these things take time to put together.
Best wishes,
Mark

ghillan

Post by ghillan »

Mark Uniacke wrote:It certainly is not vaporware it is a first class GUI in which we are bringing together innovative features.

The delays have been caused by us under estimating some aspects of the project, the multi-platform nature of the GUI and server and the increasing remit of the GUI which is now an excellent chess database, analysis and playing program.

The final beta has been done and we are close to a release candidate. Due to the extensive coverage of the GUI and engine on platforms, languages and formats these things take time to put together.
Tnx for the clarification.
Im fully aware that "good stuff" need time and personally i prefer to wait a bit more but have a proper stuff instead to buy something earlier but filled with bugs.

Im one of the many that is looking for a good mac gui working on Lion. So take the time you need.

From what you said and as a pure and personal guess I'm hoping that it could be released by "end june" ( if don't raise unexpected problems). Could you tell me if thats a reasonable hope?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I would hope and expect it before then.
Best wishes,
Mark

RetirementRules

Keep up the great work!

Post by RetirementRules »

Mark, I know you have caught some heat in the last 6 months or so about when the GUI will be ready for the public. I just want to chime in and say, "Take all the time you need." We want a great program and from what I've read, this is exactly what you have been working on. We're all behind you!

Steve
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks Steve - it is nice to get this encouragement.

We have been working very hard on the product and I don't think it will disappoint although I know many wanted it much earlier.

I think you will see the results of our efforts this month.
Best wishes,
Mark

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Yes Mark - take all the time that you need and don't be influenced by pressure put on you from those who can't wait. It's important that you're happy with the final product before you release it.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Graham Banks wrote:Yes Mark - take all the time that you need and don't be influenced by pressure put on you from those who can't wait. It's important that you're happy with the final product before you release it.
Some nice cartoons from Graham in case anyone missed them

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Some nice cartoons from Graham in case anyone missed them..
What on earth do those have to do with Hiarcs?
My comments to Mark were genuine. I hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic.