Hiarcs for iphone now available !

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

sangahm wrote:Just bought the game and I really like it!

I did notice that it shares some of the GUI design of Glaurung. Would it be possible to bring over the XBoard piece set too, as that one is my favorite?
Technically adding new piece sets is extremely trivial. I think the reason Mark chose to delete the XBoard piece set was that he was worried about copyright issues, and feared that it was not allowed to use them in a non-free program.

By the way, here is the new default piece set in Glaurung. The new version, which uses Stockfish as the internal chess engine, will probably be available within a month or two.

sangahm

Post by sangahm »

A month or two????

You tease us with this fantastic looking update, and you say it is that long away!! ;)

Seriously, I like that piece set as well as xboard, and the other features that you show look great. I can't wait for that update to come out.

In the meantime, I am really enjoying Hiarcs and am glad I purchased it.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

It gives an excellent entertainment and educational value, especially if you are on a flight or with kids on a road trip. I definitely prefer my kids playing chess over playing violent video games any day.

On the scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.5. Well done!

Susan Polger
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Harvey Williamson wrote:It gives an excellent entertainment and educational value, especially if you are on a flight or with kids on a road trip. I definitely prefer my kids playing chess over playing violent video games any day.

On the scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 9.5. Well done!

Susan Polger
She probably would give 10/10 if her kids could play against each other on that road trip with their own ipods's.
IA

Post by IA »

Hello Harvey, meet on the screen the Kn/s de Hiarcs in iPhone? It´s to say, 11.8 Kn/s …..

Has that forces ELO Hiarcs in the iPhone of 1 Generation, 2 Generation and 3 Generation?

Thank you ….
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

IA wrote:Hello Harvey, meet on the screen the Kn/s de Hiarcs in iPhone? It´s to say, 11.8 Kn/s …..

Has that forces ELO Hiarcs in the iPhone of 1 Generation, 2 Generation and 3 Generation?

Thank you ….
probably taken on Mark's iPod I do not know what the CPU is in that.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

IA wrote:Hello Harvey, meet on the screen the Kn/s de Hiarcs in iPhone? It´s to say, 11.8 Kn/s …..

The screen shot that showed 11.8 kN/s wasn't from Hiarcs, but from a recent development version of iPhone Glaurung, using Stockfish as the chess engine. I think the speed of Hiarcs is probably similar, but I am not sure.

The hardware was an iPhone 3G, i.e. last year's version.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

any plans to port HIARCS to Android ?

a lot of the new smart phones (including the HTCs) are using Android..
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Dark Horse wrote:any plans to port HIARCS to Android ?

a lot of the new smart phones (including the HTCs) are using Android..
Most current chess programs are written in the C or C++ programming language, which (unless I have missed something) are not supported on the Android platform. Android applications must be written in Java. Translating a C/C++ chess program to Java is, unfortunately, a lot of work.

Porting to the iPhone is much easier. I didn't have to change a single line in my own program (in C++); I just compiled my old source code with the iPhone OS compiler, and everything just worked. It's a one-minute job, while porting to Android would probably take months.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

thanks!!!
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

A quick thanks! I've been using Hiarcs on the iphone 3gs for the last few days and love it! (I'm using it against the Headbangers now hehe).
Very nice play, great interface, a lot of fun.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

I can run it on an iPod Touch right ? any min requirements ? will it run on the 8 GB model ?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dark Horse wrote:I can run it on an iPod Touch right ? any min requirements ? will it run on the 8 GB model ?
Should run fine - read the spec for Hiarcs on iTunes.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

These results how that Hiarcs seems to like these slower CPUs. It may also show why we have not yet seen a Pocket Rybka http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=36999#36999
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I think Hiarcs has the PDA market cornered and I congratulate Mark on his achievments.I have being waiting since Rybka was released for a PPC version but have gradually come to realize that Vas either does not care or knows that Rybka cant be miniturised to fit on the smaller limitations of the mobile platform.The 32 bit limits of PDA's combined with that Rybka has a huge .exe with bit-board code all add up to a mediocre possible performance.
I just wish Vas would state that these are the real reasons why there will not be a PDA version so that we all can give up dreaming and be happy with Hiarcs as #1.
A year on and I am still impressed with Hiarcs 12.1 engine.Even if PF4 with Hiarcs 13 is only 25 elo stronger that would be great.