Hiarcs for iphone now available !

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Does any one know if it supports peer to peer playing over a bluetooth connection, so that two players can play game without having to share an ipod? The new OS 3 upgrade alows this.
Alas I have the 1st gen touch and my daughter the 2nd gen but since mine is 1st gen there is no bluetooth.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I hope it sells well.A pity that the itunes app store is cluttered with approximatly 100 chess related apps and you would have to be well informed to make the best choice.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Cubeman wrote:I hope it sells well.A pity that the itunes app store is cluttered with approximatly 100 chess related apps and you would have to be well informed to make the best choice.
Don't worry, it will sell well. It is true that there are many chess apps, but because the platform is so tremendously popular, all the number of customers for each program is still huge. Glaurung has been available since February this year, and has been downloaded more than 250,000 times. Of course being free boosts the download counts significantly, but even if only 10% of the users would have been willing to pay $10 for the program, it would still add up to a significant amount of money.

I still don't get why most of the top commercial chess programmers ignore the iPhone. Porting to the iPhone is almost no work at all; most chess programs written in C or C++ can be compiled for the iPhone with just a few tiny changes. The iPhone is by far the biggest and most important platform for computer chess today. Still, for some reason, most programmers prefer to spend their time optimizing for big multi-CPU 64-bit machines (even though almost nobody is able to beat the programs even when they're running with a single search thread).
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
Is there much difference in strength of PF4 depending on which iphone you use eg between the 8GB, 16GB and the 32GB versions?

Regards
aka BigBen
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

The Wizard wrote:Hi,
Is there much difference in strength of PF4 depending on which iphone you use eg between the 8GB, 16GB and the 32GB versions?

Regards
No the only difference is between the versions eg 3G and 3S the 3s is fater.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Harvey Williamson wrote:

Regards
Was that fatter or faster? :)

Regards
aka BigBen
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

The Wizard wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Regards
Was that fatter or faster? :)

Regards
lol the faster the hardware i get the fatter i get sitting at home playing with it ;-)
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

We have discovered that customers in Brazil can not purchase iHiarcs as it is described as a game?! It seems they can purchase Shredder as that is described as entertainment.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

can iTunes reclassify it as entertainment ?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Dark Horse wrote:can iTunes reclassify it as entertainment ?
Not sure it is a ss simple as that to change it and who knows which countries do not allow entertainment.
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

is there only one classification or is it like a meta tag... games, entertainment, brain teasers, etc...
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Peer to peer playing any one?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Cubeman wrote:Peer to peer playing any one?
Certainly something to work on via the internet would be best I think.
sangahm

Post by sangahm »

Just bought the game and I really like it!

I did notice that it shares some of the GUI design of Glaurung. Would it be possible to bring over the XBoard piece set too, as that one is my favorite?