Hiarcs 15.3

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Fran66

Re: Hiarcs 15.3

Post by Fran66 »

Another detail I forgot: Deep Hiarcs 15.3 seems to have a hard time quitting in absurd positions. I just won a game (level 1600) with a rook +5 pawns against rook... five pawns ahead and he didn't give up, he kept playing until he received mate. :o
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Fran66 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:00 pm
Mark Uniacke wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:53 pm H15.2 is unchanged and there is no change in HCE Pro that I am aware of that could affect H15.2 play.

The Elos are calibrated and while their can be slight differences as the engine evolves it should not significantly affect chess strength. It maybe it is playing more book moves which could help it and you can change that by setting Limit Book Knowledge to true in the engine settings.

If you do not like H15.3 play you can switch to H15.2 which is unchanged.

I haven't touched anything in the book, I always leave it as it is by default. Is there any way to install the previous version of Chess Explorer?
Yes, if you want to downgrade you can download the previous version from the download page and install it.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Thanks, Mark. I just downloaded version 1.2.1 of Chess Explorer Pro. One more question: with this version, would it be possible to use the Deep Hiarcs 15.3 engine?

Best regards!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Yes H15.3.1 is a UCI engines so will run in HCE Pro 1.2.1
Best wishes,
Mark

Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Thanks, I'll try it...

But I just realized that previously I was using 8 threads of my AMD 6800H and now only 4 threads. It seems contrary to all logic, but is it possible that with 4 the program plays stronger than with 8?
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Fantastic, I can beat him again. :D

Elo Hiarcs: 1793. Blitz 5m.

Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Nice game.
Best wishes,
Mark

Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

Thanks, Mark. Your program is fantastic, it's the best I've tried along with Shredder 12.

Best regards!
mclane

Post by mclane »

Hiarcs is a slow but knowledgeable engine. Will it compete in spain too ?

https://talkchess.com/viewtopic.php?t=83441
We are delighted to announce that the 2024 World Computer Chess Championships will be held in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, October 19-24. The WCCCs will be co-located with the European Conference on AI (ECAI) 2024. This is the 50th anniversary of ECAI.

Exciting news:
* This will be the 50th anniversary of the first WCCC -- Stockholm 1974.
* We have a major sponsor for the WCCC events.
* Sponsorship includes prize money for each of the three WCCC tournaments, as well as travel and hotel subsidies for program entries.
* This will be the last WCCC. After 50 years, it's time to declare success. The WCCC started out with ELO 1600 programs and today we have ELO 3600 programs. It's time for a celebration...
* The WCCC will include a special half-day event: Chess: History, Experiments, and Search Symposium (CHESS). We will invite to Spain as many of the early pioneers of computer chess, some of whom participated in Stockholm 1974! We will celebrate the past, present, and future of chess, computing, and AI.

I hope you can join us.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Foobarred1

Post by Foobarred1 »

Just downloaded the latest version onto my MS Go tablet. I’m using HIARCs in analysis mode with a Millennium Tourney 55 via a USB cable.

Basically it was used during gameplay between two players at my chess club to “broadcast” the game.

It worked except it crashed intermittently closing HIARCs and of course losing the game. Don’t know if it’s because it’s on a tablet or if it’s because of the eboard.

Not sure if anybody else has experienced this.