Evaluation graph not showing when playing games against HIARCS

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

sshankar78

Evaluation graph not showing when playing games against HIARCS

Post by sshankar78 »

I am unable to view the evaluation graph when playing a game against HIARCS. I cannot see any option under the menu to turn on the evaluation graph when playing. However, I am able to see the evaluation graphs on past games. Why is it that I am unable to see the graph on games in session?
Bxh7

Re: Evaluation graph not showing when playing games against HIARCS

Post by Bxh7 »

Because receiving hints during a game is considered cheating, I suppose.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Bxh7 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:11 pm Because receiving hints during a game is considered cheating, I suppose.
We didn't consider it useful, but maybe it is. One drawback is that it uses CPU time so the main engine would not have 100% CPU (although I doubt that would matter for most people, HIARCS would probably easily defeat most of us using 50% of CPU).
herO

Post by herO »

mrudolf wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:01 am
Bxh7 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:11 pm Because receiving hints during a game is considered cheating, I suppose.
We didn't consider it useful, but maybe it is. One drawback is that it uses CPU time so the main engine would not have 100% CPU (although I doubt that would matter for most people, HIARCS would probably easily defeat most of us using 50% of CPU).
I would like to add that what you're saying is indeed true, but it applies only when the engine is used at full strength. When playing against the Hiarcs chess engine at lower levels, the chess engine doesn't utilize even 1% of CPU power (ELO 2200 and below). If the difficulty is set to around 2800 ELO, on my computer, it utilizes approximately 2% of CPU. Higher values can be achieved by setting the difficulty to 3400 ELO, but I doubt anyone plays at that level. Of course, if the maximum difficulty is chosen, then the CPU usage goes up to 100%, and there the performance may decrease if the evaluation explorer feature is turned on.