Guess The Move - (LucasChess) Play Like a Grandmaster

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

tomowama

Guess The Move - (LucasChess) Play Like a Grandmaster

Post by tomowama »

A feature I think would be well received for the upcoming update would be an improved new version of Guess The Move.

As it currently stands Guess The Move on Hiarcs Pro is somewhat useless, especially since you can just hide the moves now. But I think this can be fixed. Moreover, there is a simple way to fix this (Simple in the way that the idea is not wholly originally and therefore easy to implement).

LucasChess, a training GUI Chess software has this featured called "Play Like a Grandmaster" where you pick a grandmaster, i.e. Capablanca, then the software randomly selects a Capablanca game and you have to guess the moves played in the game by Casablanca. But the unique aspect of this software is that when you guess incorrectly there is a pop-up which compares your move against the one the Grandmaster played. It gives the centipawn evaluation of both moves, and the best line the engine found for both moves. The centipawn difference between your move and the Grandmasters move (your move - GM move) is added to a running total which you can see at bottom which tell you effectively how well you are playing compared to the Grandmaster. Higher centipawn sum the better, the more negative the worse.

I believe that adding this functionally would significantly improve Hiarcs Pro, and bolster its use for training and improvement.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Guess The Move - (LucasChess) Play Like a Grandmaster

Post by mrudolf »

Thanks, this is an interesting suggestion. We plan to significantly enhance GTM in one of the future versions.