How to set a game result (feature request)

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Frank Rahde

How to set a game result (feature request)

Post by Frank Rahde »

Hi,
yesterday I needed 5 minutes (!) to find the only way to set the result of a game. I had to go via menu to Game>Edit header...
For me this solution is not intuitive. I have searched for the result option in the game itself. I suggest to give additionally the ability to set the result if I click on the game header above the notation and/or if I use the context menu after clicking with right mouse button on the game entry in the game list of a database and/or if I use the context menu after click with right mouse button on the correct move in the notation.
Thanks
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: How to set a game result (feature request)

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:52 pm Hi,
yesterday I needed 5 minutes (!) to find the only way to set the result of a game. I had to go via menu to Game>Edit header...
For me this solution is not intuitive. I have searched for the result option in the game itself.
Users are obviously different, but this is the first such report we got.
Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:52 pm I suggest to give additionally the ability to set the result if I click on the game header above the notation
Where? The player names are clickable but they open Player dialog. We can add edit button here, but it will take precious space for the header (player and tournament names are sometimes quite long
Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:52 pm and/or if I use the context menu after clicking with right mouse button on the game entry in the game list of a database
Game list has game list operations. The context menu is already quite long, if we add more commands, people will struggle to find it.
and/or if I use the context menu after click with right mouse button on the correct move in the notation.
Which move is "the correct move"?

I understand your concern but neither of your suggestions below is "free" (either it is not obvious or it adds extra burden for other users).
Of course, if we find some intuitive way to set result, I'd be happy to add it.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

mrudolf wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:31 pm
Where? The player names are clickable but they open Player dialog. We can add edit button here, but it will take precious space for the header (player and tournament names are sometimes quite long
Thanks for your feedback. On the header position where the game result will be displayed you could show the little edit button or directly right of this position.:-)

Honestly: The game ended after a certain move. This move I want to be mark and find the action "Set game result" in the context menu which either opens the known Edit header dialog or there is a new context menu entry "Set game result" with the 4 result options similar to "Insert" with its options...
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:40 pm Thanks for your feedback. On the header position where the game result will be displayed you could show the little edit button or directly right of this position.:-)
The space, the precious space! (People are using HCE on their laptops)
Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:40 pm Honestly: The game ended after a certain move. This move I want to be mark and find the action "Set game result" in the context menu which either opens the known Edit header dialog or there is a new context menu entry "Set game result" with the 4 result options similar to "Insert" with its options...
What about using '*' for that? Is right-clicking on the result OK? This is the current result, so it will allow to change it.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

mrudolf wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:51 pm
What about using '*' for that? Is right-clicking on the result OK? This is the current result, so it will allow to change it.
Do you mean the `*´ in the column "Result" of the game list?
Sounds good!
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:48 pm Do you mean the `*´ in the column "Result" of the game list?
Sounds good!
No, I mean the * in the game view, after the last move.
It probably makes more sense to just add this if you are at the final move.
Zrzut ekranu 2023-09-22 o 15.52.41.png
Zrzut ekranu 2023-09-22 o 15.52.41.png (10.3 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Understood. Simple and good idea! Thanks.
oddg

Post by oddg »

Maybe I misunderstud this, but isn't there already a button in the toolbar for edit the game header?
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

You are right. I have overseen it.