Feature requests

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

xyzzy01

Feature requests

Post by xyzzy01 »

A couple of feature requests - they are mostly centered around convenience
  • When selecting an action with multiple games selected, default the action to operate on the selection, not just the current game. If you have selected e.g. 10 games, there's a reason for it.
  • Understand the most common time syntaxes - display time remaining, and time spent per move. Also, don't remove the clock info if selecting to overwrite previous analysis on a game
  • Offer automatic download/sync of your games from lichess and chesscom - they've both got APIs, and this would save time - rather than having the user download them manually, and then import them.
  • Iterating on that idea, offer to download games of any user - e.g. useful if you want to prepare against an opponent you know plays online.
SchuBi

Re: Feature requests

Post by SchuBi »

xyzzy01 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:56 am A couple of feature requests - they are mostly centered around convenience
[*]Understand the most common time syntaxes - display time remaining, and time spent per move. Also, don't remove the clock info if selecting to overwrite previous analysis on a game.
Since I play only tournament games (in clubs or leagues), I'm not interested in clock infos. In general I delete all clock infos.
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

xyzzy01 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:56 am A couple of feature requests - they are mostly centered around convenience
  • When selecting an action with multiple games selected, default the action to operate on the selection, not just the current game. If you have selected e.g. 10 games, there's a reason for it.
  • Understand the most common time syntaxes - display time remaining, and time spent per move. Also, don't remove the clock info if selecting to overwrite previous analysis on a game
  • Offer automatic download/sync of your games from lichess and chesscom - they've both got APIs, and this would save time - rather than having the user download them manually, and then import them.
  • Iterating on that idea, offer to download games of any user - e.g. useful if you want to prepare against an opponent you know plays online.
1. For which action? This is default behaviour for export.
2. Which time is not understood. I think we support all common PGN extension (%clk etc.). Replacing old analysis removes old comments as there is no easy way to remove user comments from HCE comments. Do you want just %-comments to be preserved?
3. Already on our (long) TODO list.
4. May be useful too.
xyzzy01

Post by xyzzy01 »

mrudolf wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:56 am
1. For which action? This is default behaviour for export.
2. Which time is not understood. I think we support all common PGN extension (%clk etc.). Replacing old analysis removes old comments as there is no easy way to remove user comments from HCE comments. Do you want just %-comments to be preserved?
3. Already on our (long) TODO list.
4. May be useful too.
1. Analyze games. It's a common operation for me - I download games from a site, import them, select them, and start analyzing them. Having the default of "Games:" there be "current game" rather than "all selected games" has tricked me many times.

2. I guess it boils down to "handle it differently than just displaying it as a comment, and clicking on it in a game displays the raw [%clk 0:01:57]" . I'd like to see a game clock displayed showing time remaining when looking at a position. Also, as I mentioned, understanding that clock is different from analysis so no removal when updating an engine analysis. I'm not not well versed enough in PGN and how tags are (ab)used - what I'd be OK with overwriting is engine analysis, not metadata like clock or manually entered comments.

3, 4: Great.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

xyzzy01 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:38 pm 1. Analyze games. It's a common operation for me - I download games from a site, import them, select them, and start analyzing them. Having the default of "Games:" there be "current game" rather than "all selected games" has tricked me many times.

2. I guess it boils down to "handle it differently than just displaying it as a comment, and clicking on it in a game displays the raw [%clk 0:01:57]" . I'd like to see a game clock displayed showing time remaining when looking at a position. Also, as I mentioned, understanding that clock is different from analysis so no removal when updating an engine analysis. I'm not not well versed enough in PGN and how tags are (ab)used - what I'd be OK with overwriting is engine analysis, not metadata like clock or manually entered comments.

3, 4: Great.
1. Good point. I should change it.
2. Preserving metadata is simple, but the messages inserted by analysis (like "Better was" or "The theory recommends Nf3") may be hard to distinguish from other comments (remember that these comments may be translated into another language).
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

1. Should be fixed in the next version.