Version 1.3

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Mr. Spock

Re: Version 1.3

Post by Mr. Spock »

+1
dixondeuxyeux

Post by dixondeuxyeux »

Fran66 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:55 am
dixondeuxyeux wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:34 pm This sounds a lot like GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We have to have the latest tech, the latest phone, blah blah. It's a common problem with amateur photographers. They want to talk about megapixels and lenses but never about what they actually photograph. Every Grandmaster you admire playing before 1995 had only textbooks, their notepads, and the latest newspapers from abroad to study tournament results. And they achieved Grandmaster norms by hard work. Now everyone has access to to millions of GM games in real time from numerous sources. But ask yourself, has your game improved? And if so, excellent. But by how much? Digital cameras didn't make bad photographers better, just quicker to post boring shit online. Microsoft Word didn't produce better writers. And Final Cut Pro doesn't make anyone a better filmmaker. These tools simply streamlined the process. We must do the work. How many of us have dozens upon dozens of chess books that have never been read cover to cover much less cracked open?

Information should not be confused with knowledge. Facts are worthless without context and analysis. When playing chess becomes just an exercise in memorization, I will likely stop playing because it will cease being creative. Decades after Tal's death people are analyzing his games and looking for faults. We call these folks armchair quarterbacks. Try stepping on the field and let those linebackers chase you around for a few quarters. Then you might understand the other aspects of the game.

I have been using Hiarcs for about a decade and had the mobile version on a PalmPilot many years earlier. It isn't broken. We just can't play up to it.
M
It all depends on each person's final intentions. For some it is just a hobby, there is no intention of improvement, just passing time. It's respectable too.

Best regards!
I get that. But even among hobbyists, should't the quality of the game be more important than the bells and whistles? Decades ago all chess players had were their notebooks of analysis and their memory. And those older players found some incredible ideas that we still appreciate today. I had Fritz 17 on an older Windows machine. It had all the bells and whistles and it took me forever to learn the menus. Swings and roundabouts, right?
Respectfully, Dixon
Caltor

Post by Caltor »

+1 to integration with Chessnut EVO
jurnieks

Post by jurnieks »

I still think the DGT boards are the good direction to look at.
Schach_Opa

Post by Schach_Opa »

jurnieks wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:46 pm I still think the DGT boards are the good direction to look at.
i still think its a pitty that they dont want to support macos - and therefore its the wrong direction as it excludes many users and i like Hiarcs approach to dont divide the versions for different platforms.

So aren´t boards like Millennium and/or Chessnut etc are the better choice?
jurnieks

Post by jurnieks »

Schach_Opa wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:45 am
jurnieks wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:46 pm I still think the DGT boards are the good direction to look at.
i still think its a pitty that they dont want to support macos - and therefore its the wrong direction as it excludes many users and i like Hiarcs approach to dont divide the versions for different platforms.

So aren´t boards like Millennium and/or Chessnut etc are the better choice?
They do not have the Rabbit for Macos, this is true. But they provide a full documentation for developers, and the AcidApe is a perfect example how to use it. This app has the perfect DGT support for Android. This is not a problem of information luck, I suppose.
Mag

Post by Mag »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:51 pm Yes there is an engine update included with HCE Pro v1.3
And what version of the engine will be available after the update.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

mrudolf wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:56 am
Frank Rahde wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:36 pm Will a bugfix release coming as Merry Christmas gift?
That was the plan, but we discovered last-moment problem with Sonoma and decided not to risk bug-fixing during Christmas. It should appear in early January.
Late January? :shock:
jldchess

Post by jldchess »

1.3 announced

https://www.hiarcs.com/news.html

Regards

JL
gads

Post by gads »

Anyone can do testing to see how much ELO improvement has been made from 15.2 to 15.3? Thanks.
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi HIARCS team,
thanks for the new version.

Reading from the announced key improvements, I ran a couple of games analysis to compare 1.3 + Deep Hiarcs 15.3 output vs previously run analysis of same games using previous version + DH 15.2: I suspect a come back of the "abundance of exclamation marks". e.g.:

Previous version:
link

1.3:
link

mode is avg time 5s; two threads, Show inaccuracies disabled; both sides; all moves.

Kind regards,
Eric
Last edited by Tibono2 on Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gads

Post by gads »

Wow that is a lot
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks, that is a lot of impressive moves but we cannot let that continue. :wink:

v1.3.1 fixes this oversight and is available on the download page now.

Help->Check for updates.

Please email me for fastest response.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
jurnieks

Post by jurnieks »

Thank you very much for this new version. Searching in variations allows me now to look for any particular game position in my repertoire files. This is great!
DaMaBu

Post by DaMaBu »

Norton says there's no valid digital signature on HCE 1.3.1. Is this a problem?