Version 1.3

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Terry

Re: Version 1.3

Post by Terry »

mrudolf wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:33 am
Terry wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:12 am Buy the way, is it any chance the fix with importing ChasseBase bases with cyrillic symbols also will be included to this version?
I am investigating this now. Have you sent the bug report? It looks like ChessBase changed the encoding at some point and I am not sure we got all the possible ways of encoding it.
Yes, I had communications with support and provided all the possible information (including ChessBase file example).
gads

Post by gads »

I am looking forward to this new version.
gads

Post by gads »

Is engine update planned for this version or is it just bug fixes and new features?
Terry

Post by Terry »

gads wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:30 am Is engine update planned for this version or is it just bug fixes and new features?
Good question.
I'm not a part of development team, but very interesting, what's your expectation from engine update? To play 10-20 ELO stronger?
As for me:
- to play with the engine - HIARCS engine strong enough. Are you playing stronger? :wink:
- to play HIARCS engine against other engine ... HIARCS not a top engine now, and small update will not help us much
- to use engine for analysis your games. I think here we should search not for stronger engine, but for engine, which have more human-like playing style. All this analysis do a lot of advices from machine point of view, if you are thinking 20 moves ahead. But humans play other style. So, "human-style play" will be great
dixondeuxyeux

Post by dixondeuxyeux »

This sounds a lot like GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We have to have the latest tech, the latest phone, blah blah. It's a common problem with amateur photographers. They want to talk about megapixels and lenses but never about what they actually photograph. Every Grandmaster you admire playing before 1995 had only textbooks, their notepads, and the latest newspapers from abroad to study tournament results. And they achieved Grandmaster norms by hard work. Now everyone has access to to millions of GM games in real time from numerous sources. But ask yourself, has your game improved? And if so, excellent. But by how much? Digital cameras didn't make bad photographers better, just quicker to post boring shit online. Microsoft Word didn't produce better writers. And Final Cut Pro doesn't make anyone a better filmmaker. These tools simply streamlined the process. We must do the work. How many of us have dozens upon dozens of chess books that have never been read cover to cover much less cracked open?

Information should not be confused with knowledge. Facts are worthless without context and analysis. When playing chess becomes just an exercise in memorization, I will likely stop playing because it will cease being creative. Decades after Tal's death people are analyzing his games and looking for faults. We call these folks armchair quarterbacks. Try stepping on the field and let those linebackers chase you around for a few quarters. Then you might understand the other aspects of the game.

I have been using Hiarcs for about a decade and had the mobile version on a PalmPilot many years earlier. It isn't broken. We just can't play up to it.
M
oddg

Post by oddg »

There was an issue with the rating on limited strength in the first version. It should be fixed with the 15.2 version. Sadly, I have not had time to test it. Has anyone else tested it? I have played a bunch of sparring games, but have used it on full strength. Hopefully, now that the sun has vanished and will not be back before late January, I will try to find some time to test it more, both by playing against it myself (1700+) and check it against other engines that try to calibrate against the Fide Elo (Shredder and Dragon).
Fran66

Post by Fran66 »

dixondeuxyeux wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:34 pm This sounds a lot like GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. We have to have the latest tech, the latest phone, blah blah. It's a common problem with amateur photographers. They want to talk about megapixels and lenses but never about what they actually photograph. Every Grandmaster you admire playing before 1995 had only textbooks, their notepads, and the latest newspapers from abroad to study tournament results. And they achieved Grandmaster norms by hard work. Now everyone has access to to millions of GM games in real time from numerous sources. But ask yourself, has your game improved? And if so, excellent. But by how much? Digital cameras didn't make bad photographers better, just quicker to post boring shit online. Microsoft Word didn't produce better writers. And Final Cut Pro doesn't make anyone a better filmmaker. These tools simply streamlined the process. We must do the work. How many of us have dozens upon dozens of chess books that have never been read cover to cover much less cracked open?

Information should not be confused with knowledge. Facts are worthless without context and analysis. When playing chess becomes just an exercise in memorization, I will likely stop playing because it will cease being creative. Decades after Tal's death people are analyzing his games and looking for faults. We call these folks armchair quarterbacks. Try stepping on the field and let those linebackers chase you around for a few quarters. Then you might understand the other aspects of the game.

I have been using Hiarcs for about a decade and had the mobile version on a PalmPilot many years earlier. It isn't broken. We just can't play up to it.
M
It all depends on each person's final intentions. For some it is just a hobby, there is no intention of improvement, just passing time. It's respectable too.

Best regards!
gads

Post by gads »

gads wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:30 am Is engine update planned for this version or is it just bug fixes and new features?
@mrudolf please respond
Mag

Post by Mag »

Terry wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:35 pm Good question.
I'm not a part of development team, but very interesting, what's your expectation from engine update? To play 10-20 ELO stronger?
As for me:
- to play with the engine - HIARCS engine strong enough. Are you playing stronger? :wink:
- to play HIARCS engine against other engine ... HIARCS not a top engine now, and small update will not help us much
- to use engine for analysis your games. I think here we should search not for stronger engine, but for engine, which have more human-like playing style. All this analysis do a lot of advices from machine point of view, if you are thinking 20 moves ahead. But humans play other style. So, "human-style play" will be great
He expects the engine to be among the top ten in the world.
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Will a bugfix release coming as Merry Christmas gift?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:36 pm Will a bugfix release coming as Merry Christmas gift?
That was the plan, but we discovered last-moment problem with Sonoma and decided not to risk bug-fixing during Christmas. It should appear in early January.
gads

Post by gads »

mrudolf wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:56 am
Frank Rahde wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:36 pm Will a bugfix release coming as Merry Christmas gift?
That was the plan, but we discovered last-moment problem with Sonoma and decided not to risk bug-fixing during Christmas. It should appear in early January.
Will there be engine updates for v1.3?
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Yes there is an engine update included with HCE Pro v1.3
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
gads

Post by gads »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:51 pm Yes there is an engine update included with HCE Pro v1.3
That is great news!
Schach_Opa

Post by Schach_Opa »

Hi there,

i bought Hicars some months ago and using it a lot to analyse my OTB games. So far i really enjoying it

I would love to use an eboard as "inputdevice" for the moves. Am i right with that Hiarcs is only supporting Millennium Boards sofar?

Is there any chance that Version 1.3 will support chessnut boards (DGT doesnt work with mac) as i cant afford an Millenium one.

Thanks a lot

Patrick