Feature Request: Special Annotations/Medals

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

DimEyeChessGuy

Feature Request: Special Annotations/Medals

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

I'd like to request the ability to set a special annotation or medal in HCE.

A case use: I'm developing a database of opening repertoire for white. Let's say that I have 5-6 (there will be more of course) key/critical positions that I want to keep track of/stay on top of. I'd like to be able to mark each of those positions in my white opening repertoire database. Then, have HCE search any new games I obtain for each of those critical positions and present them to me for review.

Is this the right place to ask for these sorts of things? Am I missing this already existing in HCE Pro?

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
Bxh7

Re: Feature Request: Special Annotations/Medals

Post by Bxh7 »

My way of dealing with this is to filter all new PGNs through pgn-extract before importing them to HCE. It requires some familiarity with command line tools, but is extremely versatile and you can easily set up scripts to extract games with specific lines, positions, ECO codes or whatever.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Hi there.. Thank you so much for your suggestion. I did have a look but it appears that pgn-extract is a windows program. I am (very happily), now, a Mac only user. So that's a no go for me.

I own a copy of CB15 and Chessbase certainly does these things that I've been suggesting. I just really don't want to (and I currently don't own a windows machine anymore) go back to windows. So I'm hoping I can help suggest some of these quality of life improvements for HCE. I'm invested in it.

I am also finding workarounds as much as possible to use HCE.. I am doing ok... but again, I'd love to have some of these quality of life features.

Again, thank you for the suggestion. I really do appreciate it.

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

DimEyeChessGuy wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:55 pm A case use: I'm developing a database of opening repertoire for white. Let's say that I have 5-6 (there will be more of course) key/critical positions that I want to keep track of/stay on top of. I'd like to be able to mark each of those positions in my white opening repertoire database. Then, have HCE search any new games I obtain for each of those critical positions and present them to me for review.
How would it work? You would mark some positions in your opening database (for example, mainline Dragon position and some Ruy Lopez position) and then what? Search for one position in other databases? Search for all marked positions? How the result would be presented? How would you like to work with it?

Can you give some link describing this feature in ChessBase?
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Hi there. Absolutely!

Yes, each 'critical position' in my opening database would be marked with the flag/medal/special annotation.

Then, let's say I download all the games from the current World Cup. I would like to be able to have a search mask (CB term) that would allow me to search for all critical positions in my current database using the newly download games from the World Cup.

They should simply be presented using the already functionality in HCE Pro. A simple list of the games that are culled using the search mask. I can then review those and decide whether there is anything that I need to do with them further.

Chessbase link: http://help.chessbase.com/CBase/16/Eng/ ... itions.htm

Also, here is a very old article where I first got the idea many, many years ago using Chessbase.. it's a 3 part but it demonstrates the entire process using Chessbase. Again, I'm open to new ways of doing old things but this is effectively what I'm talking about. https://en.chessbase.com/post/making-yo ... part-three

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)