Feature Request: Correspondence Reflection Time Tools

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

DimEyeChessGuy

Re: Feature Request: Correspondence Reflection Time Tools

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:35 pm

That makes sense... however:

1. What happens when I'm white and it's the first move? There is no email to paste. I need the ability to manually set up.

2. What happens when my opponent doesn't follow the format rules for their email (super common)? I need the ability to manually enter the information (both moves and timestamps)
These extra rules sound complicated.
Why do you don´t need an email to post your first white move?
It would be better when your opponents would follow the format rules for their emails. If not you could adjust their emails via Text editor before you import it by hand into HCE.

I´am afraid there are no much other correspondence chess players which are HCE users and would like the same email feature you do requested here. The programming effort must be worthwhile.
Perhaps mrudolf can implement your feature, if it can be hold simple.
Those weren't my ideas.. those were his ideas. I just want a a facility in the program to track reflection time. It IS simple.
DECG (Tom)
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:35 pm

I´am afraid there are no much other correspondence chess players which are HCE users and would like the same email feature you do requested here.
Having features like this would attract other correspondence players potentially.
DECG (Tom)
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

It is simple when the requirements are clear, complete and fully understandable for the developer. I guess this goal is not reached yet.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:43 pm It is simple when the requirements are clear, complete and fully understandable for the developer. I guess this goal is not reached yet.
Indeed. This is why I've tried a couple of times now to refocus the thread to what I was actually asking for.
DECG (Tom)
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

mrudolf wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:24 am I imagined something like this:

1. You paste a new game from correspondence server email.
2. This is recognised and automatically marked as correspondence game.
3. Every time the game changes, you just paste the content of email into the current game. This updates main line and time stamps.
4. Every time you make a move, you just select Email the game. As HCE knows this is a correspondence game, it automatically creates the email in appropriate format and fills the fields it can.

It is a long time since I played a correspondence game, so does it all make sense?
I assumed mrudolf summarized your idea nearly correct. But: It must be ensured from HCE, that the email for your first white move of a game will be created from HCE as source, and you as user of this feature must ensure that a valid email from the opponent (by edit it when necessary) is present before importing it into HCE.
Last edited by Frank Rahde on Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:51 pm

3. Every time the game changes, you just paste the content of email into the current game. This updates main line and time stamps.
4. Every time you make a move, you just select Email the game. As HCE knows this is a correspondence game, it automatically creates the email in appropriate format and fills the fields it can.

It is a long time since I played a correspondence game, so does it all make sense?
I assumed mrudolf summarized your idea nearly correct. It must be ensured from HCE, that the email for your first white move of a game will be created from HCE as source, and the user of this feature must ensure that a valid email is present before importing it into HCE.
Except I never asked for any of that. I've only asked for a way to handle and track reflection time (and manually at that). With numerous links (as was requested) to how CB handles this same thing (which is my point of reference)
DECG (Tom)
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

DimEyeChessGuy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:52 pm
Except I never asked for any of that. I've only asked for a way to handle and track reflection time (and manually at that). With numerous links (as was requested) to how CB handles this same thing (which is my point of reference)
:-)
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

I assumed mrudolf summarized your idea nearly correct. It must be ensured from HCE, that the email for your first white move of a game will be created from HCE as source, and the user of this feature must ensure that a valid email is present before importing it into HCE.
If I understand the small concept of mrudolf as response to your feature request correctly (paste and send emails with proper header infos after every move ...), all four mentioned steps are necessary to track the reflection time in HCE. Why he should try to rebuild the chessbase feature identically to fulfill your requirements?
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:00 pm

If I understand the small concept of mrudolf correctly (paste and send emails with proper header infos after every move ...), all four mentioned steps are necessary to track the reflection time in HCE.
Correct... OR... hear me out...
Instead of all that, we can just do what I've asked for. Then all those 'problems' go away. The ask was straightforward and simple.
1. We need a facility that identifies a game as a correspondence game - A correspondence header that houses all the pertinent rules for the given game
2. We need a facility that identifies the time stamps for each move inside of the game - A correspondence move annotation would handle this
3. A Send Correspondence move function that will take the stored information of the correspondence game and generate a pre-formatted email

As I've given examples, CB does JUST THIS. All the extra automation is just that... extra. Would it be useful? Of course. But it's not necessary to make HCE Pro a viable and even more useful tool for correspondence players (non-server based).

But I'm repeating myself now. All this is already laid out in the thread prior to your injection. I'll leave it here. Hoping that we can get something like this into the program and I'm happy to help if necessary. But this back and forth on stuff I've already said is not beneficial to anyone.
DECG (Tom)
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:00 pm Why he should try to rebuild the chessbase feature identically to fulfill your requirements?
He shouldn't do anything. I never said he should. I AM asking for that though. Chessbase doesn't run on Mac machines. I own Chessbase but I no longer own a windows machine. I'm invested in HCE Pro and believe it to be the best database program for Mac. My only motive here is to help make it better and more useful for folks like myself.
DECG (Tom)
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Okay, you mean you want to calculate the reflection time of white and black in the special game notation for the correspondence email manually yourself and adjust it again each time without using HCE to determine the reflection times?
Last edited by Frank Rahde on Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:14 pm Okay, you mean you want to calculate the reflection time of white and black in the prepared correspondence email manually yourself and adjust it again each time without using HCE to determine the reflection times?
I mean what I've already typed.
DECG (Tom)