Annotation Question: New line??

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

DimEyeChessGuy

Annotation Question: New line??

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

So when I enter a new comment on a move, the annotation is placed on a new line (see the picture).

Is there a way to change this behavior? I'd sure like to have those comments in line.

Thanks in advance.

DECG (Tom)

DECG (Tom)
SchuBi

Re: Annotation Question: New line??

Post by SchuBi »

I don’t know a way to change this behaviour. It’s standard for HCE and other chess-databases.
Attachments
Lagarde-Pragg.jpg
Lagarde-Pragg.jpg (94.44 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

It definitely isn’t like that in Chessbase. Which is all I’ve ever used before (so my only frame of comparison).

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The current notation layout was the result of much user interaction, as I recall making the mainline clearer by not cluttering it with comments and variations was very popular.

I will mention to Michal the request for an option for the more cluttered approach but at the moment you are the only person to bring this up so let us see how much demand there is for it.

For comparison of HCE Pro v CB notation view, first HCE Pro:
Now the cluttered CB

Personally I prefer the HCE Pro approach.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Thanks for the response and fair enough. I can probably learn to live with the current iteration of the annotations. I'd love to be able to have some assignable keyboard shortcuts for annotations (as I mentioned in my other thread) though.

Thanks,
DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)
mw.865747

Post by mw.865747 »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:13 pm but at the moment you are the only person to bring this up so let us see how much demand there is for it.
Make that 2 :-)

You loose a lot of height with HCE layout. If at least the newline could be skipped at the beginning of the comment, that would help.
I'm using a 34" monitor for example. If I have a game, that contains comments to almost all moves, I loose a lot of space on the right side and I'm forced to scroll up and down way earlier.

Different colors (like it is already) is in my view enough distinction to find the moves within a cluttered approach. At least I never had problems with it in Chessbase and embraced the "compact" view. I'd prefer to not search for the start of the next line between my eyes doing the "newline" and the "carriage return".

Newline in front of text comments would probably make sense, but I see no value of the newline for graphical comments like arrows and marked squares:
1.d4 {[%cal Gd2d4] } 1...Nf6 {[%cal Gg8f6] } 2.Nf3 {[%cal Gg1f3] } 2...d5 {[%cal Gd7d5] } 3.c4 {[%cal Gc2c4] } 3...e6 {[%cal Ge7e6] } 4.Nc3 {[%cal Gb1c3] } 4...Bb4 {[%cal Gf8b4] } *

Just my personal view
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The comment only appears on a new line when it is the mainline.

Graphical comments for arrows etc are not put on new lines.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
DimEyeChessGuy

Post by DimEyeChessGuy »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:07 pm The comment only appears on a new line when it is the mainline.

Graphical comments for arrows etc are not put on new lines.
Maybe a solution for this would be to 'have your cake and eat it too?'
Maybe an option in the program setup to chose which format you'd like to use for annotations.

DECG (Tom)
DECG (Tom)