Feature Request: Collect openings for Hiarcs Explorer Pro

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Ladyhawk

Feature Request: Collect openings for Hiarcs Explorer Pro

Post by Ladyhawk »

Chessbase has an interesting option if you load a database and go to report and choose collect openings.
This is what the manual of Chessbase says about this option:
The program generates a new database that contains all the games that start with the same moves (openings variant) gathered together. This gives you a good overview of the openings in the database, just like the openings encyclopedia.
So the function "collect opening" creates merged games for each seperate opening find in the datase.
I use this function to further devide my repertoires in small chunks.
Without having to use a seperate game for each seperate variation.
For my Queen's Gambit repertoire for white it gives me 23 seperate sub-repertoires for example.

That make it easyer to study the opening and to memorize the lines, in Chessable for example:
D07 [Queen's Gambit: Chigorin]
D11 [Slav Defence: 3 Nf3 sidelines]
D15 [Slav Defence: 4 Nc3 a6 and 4 Nc3 Bf5]
D16 [Slav Defence: 5 a4: Lines with 5...Bg4 and 5...e6]
D17 [Slav Defence: 5 a4 Bf5: Lines with 6 Ne5]
D20 [Queen's Gambit Accepted: 4 e4]
D21 [Queen's Gambit Accepted: 3 Nf3 sidelines]
D22 [Queen's Gambit Accepted: 3 Nf3 a6 4 e3]
D25 [Queen's Gambit Accepted: 4 e3 : sidelines and 4...Bg4]
D26 [Queen's Gambit Accepted: 4 e3 and 5 Bxc4 c5 sidelines]
D27 [Queen's Gambit Accepted: Classical main line: 7.Bd3]
D30 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Systems without Nc3]
D31 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Semi-Slav without ...Nf6]
D32 [Tarrasch Defence: Sidelines and lines without g3]
D35 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Exchange Variation]
D36 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Exchange Variation: Main line]
D37 [Queen's Gambit Declined: 5 Bf4]
D38 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Ragozin Defence 4 Nc3 Bb4]
D39 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Ragozin Defence with 6 Bg5]
D41 [Queen's Gambit Declined: Semi-Tarrasch]
D43 [Semi-Slav: 5 Bg5 h6]
D44 [Semi-Slav: Botvinnik System and 5...Nbd7]
D46 [Semi-Slav: 5 Nf3 Nbd7 6 Qc2 Black avoids the Meran]
The problem is that the collect openings feature doesn't work perfect in Chessbase.
Some lines are missing and are not to be find in the output database.

So I hope Hiarcs Explorer Pro could include a similar option to collect openings from a database without the error of some opening lines missing.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Feature Request: Collect openings for Hiarcs Explorer Pro

Post by Mark Uniacke »

From your description it seems to me HCE Pro can already do that using Player Explorer and the Tree.

In Player Explorer it can display all the popular openings in a database or by a player and show that for both white and black and with wins, draw, losses. Furthermore you can click on any of the openings or +-= and it will set a filter of games to just those openings.

Now to refine that open the Tree view and set it to the filter, you can then refine the games further based on moves and set the game list from the Tree. The game collection can be exported to another database if you require.

I can see we could extend the opening categorisation or allow sub naming but in chess transpositions are going to mean similar games could easily end up in different categories.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Ladyhawk

Post by Ladyhawk »

I already use the Player Expplorer to display the openings. I set fictive names in my repertoire pgn to be able to use this function. It douse a good job.
But I need some way to further divede the openings.
I can see we could extend the opening categorisation or allow sub naming but in chess transpositions are going to mean similar games could easily end up in different categories.
It would be nice if the opening categorisations could be extended.
I understand the problem with transpositions.
But it dousn't need to be perfect. Just some logic way to further extend the opening categorisation would be fine for my usercase.
It is only importent that all variations are included, expessialy if the positions can not be reached by other transpositions.
It is an awfully lot of work if someone needs to divide sub-repertoires in small chunks manualy.
For now I use the collect openings functions in Chessbase.
To find the missing variatioins.
I study all the sub-variations of my repertore Queen's Gambit in Chess Position Trainer, antill I have a training score of 100% for all the collected openings. Afterwards I make a new opening from the complete Queen's Gambit opening in Chess Position Trainer. Chess Position Trainer than asigns a training score of 70-90 %.
If I go to training, and set the option 'filter', cpt jumps to the positions not included, in the collected openings. I mark these positions as training so I can find them afterwards.
Tha'ts also alot of work but the only way I know of to achief what I want for now.
I don't know exactly how the Collect Openings work in Chessbase.
For my Queen's Gambit repertoire for white, I have 138 seperate opening lines.
If I collect the openings with Chessbase, I get 23 collected openings (merged games with the same opening).
I think it collect opening by following the main lines leading to comman positions.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks, so I understand you better, if the Player Explorer offered splitting up an opening into further sub-variations showing the games played stats in those subvariation and like now allowing you to clcik to set a filter based on any of those subvariations that would provide the functionality you are looking for?

On a related note are you aware you can load your games from a database or set filter and use the Tree to view your reportoire for any position? You can then use the Book Explorer to compare with established thoery for ideas etc. This can also be done for any player or database as a whole or game selection. From the Tree you can set the filter for any position you reach, that will then only list the games played that contain that position and hence limit the game list selection to openings from the current position.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Ladyhawk

Post by Ladyhawk »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:22 am Thanks, so I understand you better, if the Player Explorer offered splitting up an opening into further sub-variations showing the games played stats in those subvariation and like now allowing you to clcik to set a filter based on any of those subvariations that would provide the functionality you are looking for?
Yes this is wat I would like. It are lines of my repertoire so the statics are fictive or not existing in my usercase.