Deep Hiarcs 15.2 - problem

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Mag

Deep Hiarcs 15.2 - problem

Post by Mag »

Unfortunately, once again I have a serious problem with the Deep Hiarc 15.2 engine. The program does not correctly show all 32 threads, but only shows 16. Mark I have a request for you not to commit what you did last time. Do some serious testing and test the engine on other programs, not just Chessbase (which has serious bugs).

Krzysztof
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Deep Hiarcs 15.2 - problem

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Only the Premium version of the engine supports 32 threads. The engine defaults to half the physical threads to allow customers to run multiple engines either in the same tab or in different tabs without immediately running out of resources.

DH15.2 does allow 32 threads on a Premium license. The threads option can be modified in the HCE Pro Prefs->Engines->Configure dialog if you wish to set the Threads value to be used on all instantiations of the engine. If you just want to configure the engine in the Analysis Explorer for that instance of the engine it can also be set in the Analysis Explorer (there is a toolbar icon for configuring the threads) but it will of course use the default when loaded in other views unless you set the value in Configure.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Mag

Post by Mag »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:56 pm Only the Premium version of the engine supports 32 threads. The engine defaults to half the physical threads to allow customers to run multiple engines either in the same tab or in different tabs without immediately running out of resources.

DH15.2 does allow 32 threads on a Premium license. The threads option can be modified in the HCE Pro Prefs->Engines->Configure dialog if you wish to set the Threads value to be used on all instantiations of the engine. If you just want to configure the engine in the Analysis Explorer for that instance of the engine it can also be set in the Analysis Explorer (there is a toolbar icon for configuring the threads) but it will of course use the default when loaded in other views unless you set the value in Configure.
I have version 1.2.1 Premium. This problem persists. You're testing too little in other chess apps. And you just keep writing about Chessbase.

You should test in popular chess apps:

Arena 3.5.1
Fritz 18
Fat Fritz 2
Cute Chess (very popular app (free)) - here the program shows 16 threads (instead of 32 threads) -I probably know why that is but I'm not 100% sure
Shredder Classic 5
Shredder Classic 4

and in other applications.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

We cannot test third party apps for their issues, if our engine is offering in the correct UCI protocol that it can use 32 threads and the GUI in question does not allow it that is not an issue with the engine.

DH15.2 gives the information when it starts using the UCI protocol that has been a defacto standard for 20+ years. For example:

option name Threads type spin min 1 max 32 default 8

We are not responsible for other GUIs handling of established UCI commands, although I would be surprised if a GUI that supports UCI cannot handle the Threads option.
Best wishes,
Mark

Mag

Post by Mag »

I am sending a link to Cutto chess (free program) where a lot of people use it and think it is one of the best programs.

https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess

Please test threads - does it show 16 or 32. Here you wonder why the program does not show 32 threads.
Last edited by Mag on Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mag

Post by Mag »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:32 pm We cannot test third party apps for their issues, if our engine is offering in the correct UCI protocol that it can use 32 threads and the GUI in question does not allow it that is not an issue with the engine.

DH15.2 gives the information when it starts using the UCI protocol that has been a defacto standard for 20+ years. For example:

option name Threads type spin min 1 max 32 default 8

We are not responsible for other GUIs handling of established UCI commands, although I would be surprised if a GUI that supports UCI cannot handle the Threads option.
Various applications allow you to do more.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Does HCE Pro allow DH15.2 to have 32 cores configured?
Best wishes,
Mark

Mag

Post by Mag »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:50 pm Does HCE Pro allow DH15.2 to have 32 cores configured?
Yes. As for the Cute chess program, you didn't think that some program (a very good program) can use the Qt framework. And the app uses HIARCS Chess Explorer Pro with Qt framework. And here begins a serious problem.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Fritz 18 also correctly allows H15.2 configured with 32 threads. As does Shredder 13 and Chessbase 15, 16, 17.

You raised the same issue with Cute chess before here: viewtopic.php?p=113322

Our engine provides the correct Thread information to all GUIs that load it, if Cute chess has an issue handling that, then that is a Cute chess issue not an issue with our engine.
Best wishes,
Mark

Mag

Post by Mag »

Mark Uniacke wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:14 pm Fritz 18 also correctly allows H15.2 configured with 32 threads. As does Shredder 13 and Chessbase 15, 16, 17.

You raised the same issue with Cute chess before here: viewtopic.php?p=113322

Our engine provides the correct Thread information to all GUIs that load it, if Cute chess has an issue handling that, then that is a Cute chess issue not an issue with our engine.
As for the mentioned programs, you are right that threads are used correctly. As for the cutte chess application, I do not agree with your opinion. I will only write that other engines have no problem with it, they only have a problem with Deep Hiarcs 15.1 or 15.2.
Mag

Post by Mag »

Nothing has changed, the problem still exists.
herO

Post by herO »

Mag wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:22 pm Nothing has changed, the problem still exists.
I think you're making an incorrect assumption. If the Hiarcs chess engine works correctly in Hiarcs Chess Explorer Pro, Chessbase in various versions and it also works in Shredder software, I don't think the problem is on Hiarcs side. Have you written a query to the developers of CuteChess? Isn't this program limited to only 16 cores? In your case, I would definitely contact the developers of the CuteChess software.
Mag

Post by Mag »

herO wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:41 pm I think you're making an incorrect assumption. If the Hiarcs chess engine works correctly in Hiarcs Chess Explorer Pro, Chessbase in various versions and it also works in Shredder software, I don't think the problem is on Hiarcs side. Have you written a query to the developers of CuteChess? Isn't this program limited to only 16 cores? In your case, I would definitely contact the developers of the CuteChess software.
Unfortunately, you don't know if I'm drawing the wrong conclusions. I think not. I will continue to pursue this topic until I find out who is to blame. Here is information for Mark - if you set 16 threads, the program will show these 16 threads correctly. The problem arises with 32 threads.
herO

Post by herO »

Mag wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:02 pm
herO wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:41 pm I think you're making an incorrect assumption. If the Hiarcs chess engine works correctly in Hiarcs Chess Explorer Pro, Chessbase in various versions and it also works in Shredder software, I don't think the problem is on Hiarcs side. Have you written a query to the developers of CuteChess? Isn't this program limited to only 16 cores? In your case, I would definitely contact the developers of the CuteChess software.
Unfortunately, you don't know if I'm drawing the wrong conclusions. I think not. I will continue to pursue this topic until I find out who is to blame. Here is information for Mark - if you set 16 threads, the program will show these 16 threads correctly. The problem arises with 32 threads.
I don't see any reason why Mark should support some no-name software called CuteChess, which is only used among chess engine enthusiasts who do nothing but play chess tournaments where one chess engine plays against another chess engine. CuteChess is only used by enthusiasts from the talkchess forum. CuteChess is certainly not and never has been a popular and widely used program.

On the other hand software like ChessBase, Shredder, Fritz, Aquarium, Arena are far more used software and everything works fine there. For me it's OK. In my opinion, the fault is clearly on the side of the CuteChess software, which incorrectly implements the Threads parameter.

Previously, some programs had problems using the Hiarcs chess engine. And where was the problem? Certainly not with Mark! The problem was that often the free software didn't properly implement how to handle the chess engine, which requires registration! And usually chess software like CuteChess, which fixed this bug in early 2022, have problems with this.

Mark is not the developer of CuteChess. His chess engine works in Hiarcs Chess Explorer and all other very popular software. I don't see any reason to bother with CuteChess software, which is used by a couple of dozen people at most, and to waste Mark's precious time only to find out in the end that there is a problem between the chair and the keyboard by a CuteChess developer.
Mag

Post by Mag »

herO wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:21 pm
Mag wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:02 pm
I don't see any reason why Mark should support some no-name software called CuteChess, which is only used among chess engine enthusiasts who do nothing but play chess tournaments where one chess engine plays against another chess engine. CuteChess is only used by enthusiasts from the talkchess forum. CuteChess is certainly not and never has been a popular and widely used program.

On the other hand software like ChessBase, Shredder, Fritz, Aquarium, Arena are far more used software and everything works fine there. For me it's OK. In my opinion, the fault is clearly on the side of the CuteChess software, which incorrectly implements the Threads parameter.

Previously, some programs had problems using the Hiarcs chess engine. And where was the problem? Certainly not with Mark! The problem was that often the free software didn't properly implement how to handle the chess engine, which requires registration! And usually chess software like CuteChess, which fixed this bug in early 2022, have problems with this.

Mark is not the developer of CuteChess. His chess engine works in Hiarcs Chess Explorer and all other very popular software. I don't see any reason to bother with CuteChess software, which is used by a couple of dozen people at most, and to waste Mark's precious time only to find out in the end that there is a problem between the chair and the keyboard by a CuteChess developer.
You write stupid and strange things. I'll remind you that a TCEC tournament is being run with the CuteChess app. It's not some kind of program there since this tournament is being run. It should be remembered that every programmer should test the program in various applications, not only commercial ones.