Stored variation within the cache is linked to the actual engine

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Frank Rahde

Stored variation within the cache is linked to the actual engine

Post by Frank Rahde »

When I switch analysis engines, the saved variant in the cache is linked to the currently open engine I switched to. So I could insert the same variation with the same evaluation from the cache into the notation for every engine I switched to. For simple demonstration I inserted the first move of the stored variation of the engine cache...

See image: https://app.screencast.com/wStXmq6IjlHKL

Is that a bug?
Frank Rahde

Re: Stored variation within the cache is linked to the actual engine

Post by Frank Rahde »

I suggest to save and display the responsible engine of the stored variation in the cache, so that no other engine I switched to can occupy it.

Feature Request: Is it possible to store the latest output of every engine I used and to display the analysis result of the current loaded engine? Often I ask 3 different engines for the evaluation of a position and want to see its last evaluation....
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:03 am I suggest to save and display the responsible engine of the stored variation in the cache, so that no other engine I switched to can occupy it.
Yes, it looks like a bug, it should remember the engine producing the analysis (which it doesn't to save space at the moment).

As for storing multiple engines, this is possible, but we assumed you don't want be flooded with cached analysis (too much noise for common positions).
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Storing multiple engine analysis - you could make the display optional and adjustable (e. g. Show the stored analysis results of 1-n engines or of favoured engines X and Y as list) for those chess players which want to get it. I like this feature very much. ... The display of one cached variation line of the current loaded engine at the top of the engine output is not too much I think.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Do you mean displayed cached Stockfish only for Stockfish analysis and Hiarcs only for Hiarcs?
Frank Rahde

Post by Frank Rahde »

Yes.

Or you find a solution to specify as user via Settings, how much cached engines results or which engine results should be displayed for the analyzed position. :D
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:13 am Or you find a solution to specify as user via Settings, how much cached engines results or which engine results should be displayed for the analyzed position. :D
Separate caches make sense to me, as the depths of various programs are not really comparable.
TimC

Post by TimC »

mrudolf wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:28 am
Frank Rahde wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:13 am Or you find a solution to specify as user via Settings, how much cached engines results or which engine results should be displayed for the analyzed position. :D
Separate caches make sense to me, as the depths of various programs are not really comparable.
So the separate caches would show up per engine when multi engine analysis is happening? I find it annoying that the cache for SF is showing up in my Lc0 analysis line when using both engines at the same time.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:37 pm So the separate caches would show up per engine when multi engine analysis is happening? I find it annoying that the cache for SF is showing up in my Lc0 analysis line when using both engines at the same time.
Yes, Stockfish cache will be only displayed when analysing with Stockfish.
TimC

Post by TimC »

mrudolf wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:19 pm
TimC wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:37 pm So the separate caches would show up per engine when multi engine analysis is happening? I find it annoying that the cache for SF is showing up in my Lc0 analysis line when using both engines at the same time.
Yes, Stockfish cache will be only displayed when analysing with Stockfish.
My comment was that the evaluation cache of SF is also showing up as the "cache" in the Lc0 evaluation window when multi-engine analysis is being performed. It should not do that IMO, rather show the cache of Lc0 in the Lc0 window and the SF cache in the SF window.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:50 pm My comment was that the evaluation cache of SF is also showing up as the "cache" in the Lc0 evaluation window when multi-engine analysis is being performed. It should not do that IMO, rather show the cache of Lc0 in the Lc0 window and the SF cache in the SF window.
Yes, that's what I suggested: cache will be local to each engine.
mattchess

Post by mattchess »

That would be great! Thanks - having the cache saved is a great addition btw. Really improves the utility for analysis across multiple sessions when returning to the same position. Having it segregated by specific engine will be very helpful when exploring positions.

Question - does the analysis only get cached from infinite analysis? If we analyze a game - will the evals from that analysis be cached as well assuming they are at higher depth than what was already cached or if there was nothing already cached?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

mattchess wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:19 pm That would be great! Thanks - having the cache saved is a great addition btw. Really improves the utility for analysis across multiple sessions when returning to the same position. Having it segregated by specific engine will be very helpful when exploring positions.

Question - does the analysis only get cached from infinite analysis? If we analyze a game - will the evals from that analysis be cached as well assuming they are at higher depth than what was already cached or if there was nothing already cached?
Not yet. There was an idea to cache analysis for each analysed game (to improve the accuracy of Evaluation explorer), but this is not decided as it takes space. Something to think about.