Version 1.2 Layout

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

TimC

Version 1.2 Layout

Post by TimC »

Congratulations on getting this version out! Like the updates all around.

Would really like to be able to control the size of the various "Explorer" windows and their placement on the screen ala CB15 and the like. Is there any reason that this cannot be done on HIARCS?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Version 1.2 Layout

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:40 pm Would really like to be able to control the size of the various "Explorer" windows and their placement on the screen ala CB15 and the like. Is there any reason that this cannot be done on HIARCS?
Most explorers are resizeable (you can se their height). Which explorer would you like to resize?

We tried to make explorers freely movable, but the result was that it was too easy to do the wrong thing, i.e. users spend too much time trying to undo moved or dragged explorer.
TimC

Post by TimC »

mrudolf wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:13 pm
TimC wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:40 pm Would really like to be able to control the size of the various "Explorer" windows and their placement on the screen ala CB15 and the like. Is there any reason that this cannot be done on HIARCS?
Most explorers are resizeable (you can se their height). Which explorer would you like to resize?

We tried to make explorers freely movable, but the result was that it was too easy to do the wrong thing, i.e. users spend too much time trying to undo moved or dragged explorer.
I would like to be able pop the Game Explorer off the bottom of the screen and set it to the right hand edge. That would make the game notation box smaller but allow me to keep a larger playing board. As is, when I have a tab open with my games in an ICCF tournament the board can get quite small, with the game notation taking up 2/3 of the screen. I can see where moving things around could get confusing :D , I had that problem with CB until I got the layout I like and then "saved" it as "My" layout. I don't mind the learning curve, if things go wrong I can reset hit reset to default layout. :D
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:34 pm I would like to be able pop the Game Explorer off the bottom of the screen and set it to the right hand edge. That would make the game notation box smaller but allow me to keep a larger playing board. As is, when I have a tab open with my games in an ICCF tournament the board can get quite small, with the game notation taking up 2/3 of the screen. I can see where moving things around could get confusing :D , I had that problem with CB until I got the layout I like and then "saved" it as "My" layout. I don't mind the learning curve, if things go wrong I can reset hit reset to default layout. :D
You can set the game list to be very small (like 3 games visible) and save this as default layout.
TimC

Post by TimC »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:30 pm
TimC wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:34 pm I would like to be able pop the Game Explorer off the bottom of the screen and set it to the right hand edge. That would make the game notation box smaller but allow me to keep a larger playing board. As is, when I have a tab open with my games in an ICCF tournament the board can get quite small, with the game notation taking up 2/3 of the screen. I can see where moving things around could get confusing :D , I had that problem with CB until I got the layout I like and then "saved" it as "My" layout. I don't mind the learning curve, if things go wrong I can reset hit reset to default layout. :D
You can set the game list to be very small (like 3 games visible) and save this as default layout.
Yes I could do that, but then I will have to do a lot of scrolling to find the game I am currently working on. Not very convenient. Looks like I'm just stuck with the current method then. :(
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:16 pm Yes I could do that, but then I will have to do a lot of scrolling to find the game I am currently working on. Not very convenient. Looks like I'm just stuck with the current method then. :(
If you rarely need game list, you may also toggle it using Shift+Ctrl+L, showing it only when you need it.

If you are working on a game, don't you have it already loaded? Why would you need to find it?
TimC

Post by TimC »

mrudolf wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:19 am
TimC wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:16 pm Yes I could do that, but then I will have to do a lot of scrolling to find the game I am currently working on. Not very convenient. Looks like I'm just stuck with the current method then. :(
If you rarely need game list, you may also toggle it using Shift+Ctrl+L, showing it only when you need it.

If you are working on a game, don't you have it already loaded? Why would you need to find it?
Can the toggle function be set to something other than Ctrl+Shift+L? Like say just one of the function keys? I'm just trying to make this easier and quicker to work with after the new double spacing went in on the game list, making it take up more screen space. Toggle seems to be the best, but the invoke command could be simpler (or user defined). Thanks for the info.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

TimC wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:46 pm Can the toggle function be set to something other than Ctrl+Shift+L? Like say just one of the function keys? I'm just trying to make this easier and quicker to work with after the new double spacing went in on the game list, making it take up more screen space. Toggle seems to be the best, but the invoke command could be simpler (or user defined). Thanks for the info.
The shortcuts are not configurable yet. Maybe in one of the next versions. We generally don't use F-keys as they are hard to access on Mac.