Directories Autoconverted & SearchIndex

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

GoneBallistics

Directories Autoconverted & SearchIndex

Post by GoneBallistics »

I have my databases in a directory under c:\users\...\Documents\HIARCS Chess\Databases\
I noticed that in c:\users\...\AppData\Local\hiarcs\ChessExplorerPro\cache\Autoconverted\ I have 20 GB of hce databases (some of the more than 4 months old).
They also have a corresponding .cache file in c:\Users\...\AppData\Local\hiarcs\ChessExplorerPro\cache\SearchIndex\
I suppose that if the databases are deleted the cache files will go in a week.
Is there a way to have them eliminated or do I need to do that on my own?

I noticed also directories Autoconverted and SearchIndex in the root directory of a cope of my disks, where I worked with HCE databases.
I suppose they were created there by mistake.
Trahald

Re: Directories Autoconverted & SearchIndex

Post by Trahald »

I would also like to know if this will be fixed in 1.2. It's annoying having these directories in the root of each drive.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

GoneBallistics wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:28 pm I have my databases in a directory under c:\users\...\Documents\HIARCS Chess\Databases\
I noticed that in c:\users\...\AppData\Local\hiarcs\ChessExplorerPro\cache\Autoconverted\ I have 20 GB of hce databases (some of the more than 4 months old).
They also have a corresponding .cache file in c:\Users\...\AppData\Local\hiarcs\ChessExplorerPro\cache\SearchIndex\
I suppose that if the databases are deleted the cache files will go in a week.
Is there a way to have them eliminated or do I need to do that on my own?

I noticed also directories Autoconverted and SearchIndex in the root directory of a cope of my disks, where I worked with HCE databases.
I suppose they were created there by mistake.
Very strange. Normally databases in Autoconverted are created if you are using non-HCE database. They should be automatically removed once the database is closed. Do you have any idea about your workflow, which can help us determine how these databases were left on disk?

Yes, removing the database will remove the cache too. There is no way to trigger cache cleanup yet, we will add it.

Were Autoconverted and SearchIndex folders created in some other disks too? Can you report a problem (Help->Report a problem) so that we can see your configuration?
GoneBallistics

Post by GoneBallistics »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:09 am Very strange. Normally databases in Autoconverted are created if you are using non-HCE database. They should be automatically removed once the database is closed. Do you have any idea about your workflow, which can help us determine how these databases were left on disk?
Yes, removing the database will remove the cache too. There is no way to trigger cache cleanup yet, we will add it.
Were Autoconverted and SearchIndex folders created in some other disks too? Can you report a problem (Help->Report a problem) so that we can see your configuration?
Found this only today. During the game Real-City I made some tests.
After importing and converting huge pgn I didn't find autoconverted folder nor files.
I tried open and convert of a huge cbh, same result.
The only thing I can think of after eliminating > 20GB of auctoconverted database AND their folder is that somewhat I changed things.
I'm afraid this is a little bit more complicated to replicate.
It's possibile it depends from the original situation.
I just made another check, apparebntly I have no cache files too.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

This would be strange, because cache files are automatically created if you open a database. You can discover the paths by clicking Help with Alt (Mac or Shift (Windows), choosing "Show Application Log" and looking at Runtime information for paths.
GoneBallistics

Post by GoneBallistics »

mrudolf wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:22 pm This would be strange, because cache files are automatically created if you open a database. You can discover the paths by clicking Help with Alt (Mac or Shift (Windows), choosing "Show Application Log" and looking at Runtime information for paths.
I uninstalled HCE Pro 1.1.1 and reinstalled it to test aagain, and then forgot to publish an update. :shock:

This is what I got.

Disk C:\
Folders Autoconverted and SearchIndex were created in the root, always been empty.
Folders Autoconverted and SearchIndex were created in c:\Users\Giorgio\AppData\Local\hiarcs\ChessExplorerPro\cache\ and they are used for cache. A

Disk W:\ (The NAS volume where i keep chess stuff)
Folders Autoconverted and SearchIndex were created in the root, always been empty.

The databases in Autoconverted apparently reamin there.
I checked if after removing a database and forgetting it the cache survive, and it doesn't.

If you need me to repeat this test in order to supply more info I'm available to repeat this when v1.2 is released.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

GoneBallistics wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 am If you need me to repeat this test in order to supply more info I'm available to repeat this when v1.2 is released.
Thanks, that will be very useful. I will test it as soon as 1.2 is released, as we want to make HCE Pro even safer for 1.3.
Is it OK for you to continue by email? If so, please send me a direct message with your email.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

mrudolf wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:38 pm
GoneBallistics wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 am If you need me to repeat this test in order to supply more info I'm available to repeat this when v1.2 is released.
Thanks, that will be very useful. I will test it as soon as 1.2 is released, as we want to make HCE Pro even safer for 1.3.
Is it OK for you to continue by email? If so, please send me a direct message with your email.
One change which will be introduced in 1.2.1 is that using Forget database in Open dialog (Cmd/Ctrl+Backspace) will delete cache immediately. No need to delete database.