Adding Clock Times to PGN Notation

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Adding Clock Times to PGN Notation

Post by mrudolf »

bcalmac wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:58 am @mrudolf, how about the suggestion to not display the time as comments but rather next to the board as in a real game? Is that something you might consider for your product roadmap?
Yes, it is on our wish list. I kept postponing it because I am not 100% convinced this is a best solution in all cases. For example, if you want to see how much did you spend on a move, you can do it by a look at the comments, but using the actual the clock makes it harder (you need to remember a value, scroll and do the math). Also, the clock takes some space.
bcalmac

Post by bcalmac »

At least consider it as optional.

There's also the opposite argument: consider importing a game, not caring at all about timing, and having a few useful comments drowned in timestamps.

I also wouldn't mind if there were a way to just clear all timestamps.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

It is difficult, if there is a mix of timestamps and comments.
If the game has no comments, but only timestamps, you can use
Analyze game
Ana.jpg
Ana.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
and this is the result
game.jpg
game.jpg (28.31 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
You have to delete the comment e.g. by using a text-editor, if you have a lot of games.
On Lichess you can avoid timestamps in the download.
Lichess.jpg
Lichess.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

For a single game, the fastest way is to use the shortcut Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+0 to remove all comments.

1.2 will bring the command to remove only special comments.

We may consider adding some import options in the future to remove these, but for now doing it for all games is not possible.
yairjazz

Post by yairjazz »

bcalmac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:56 am At least consider it as optional.

There's also the opposite argument: consider importing a game, not caring at all about timing, and having a few useful comments drowned in timestamps.

I also wouldn't mind if there were a way to just clear all timestamps.
I agree.
Having the timestamps mixed with the comments is extremely confusing. If you don't want to display the timestamps inside the clocks panes, at least consider changing their color or not displaying them at all.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

yairjazz wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:42 am Having the timestamps mixed with the comments is extremely confusing. If you don't want to display the timestamps inside the clocks panes, at least consider changing their color or not displaying them at all.
We considered using clock but this won't help if the data is incomplete (no time control + time per move instead of clock). Also, you cannot really determine the time spent without going one move back and doing the subtraction in your head.
bcalmac

Post by bcalmac »

I'm not sure if there's still any plan to do something about the timestamps, but I would like to revive the topic by a visual comparison between lichess and HCE Pro:

versus:

Is it debatable that the lichess approach of displaying the remaining time outside of the notation pane is visually cleaner and allows one to focus on what matters, the moves and the comments? If not (which I hope to be the answer), is this something that the Hiarcs team would consider implementing?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

bcalmac wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:28 am Is it debatable that the lichess approach of displaying the remaining time outside of the notation pane is visually cleaner and allows one to focus on what matters, the moves and the comments? If not (which I hope to be the answer), is this something that the Hiarcs team would consider implementing?
Lichess solution doesn't seem suitable for HCE, because player names are more important there.
In Lichess you normally don't really care whom are you playing, so moving the player names outside the notation is acceptable. In HCE most of the time you want to see it clearly.

We considered using the clock to display move time (like during the play) but it will take more space, so we are still not sure. I agree it should be improved, but it is not clear for me what the best solution is.
bcalmac

Post by bcalmac »

mrudolf wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:14 am Lichess solution doesn't seem suitable for HCE, because player names are more important there.
In Lichess you normally don't really care whom are you playing, so moving the player names outside the notation is acceptable. In HCE most of the time you want to see it clearly.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, I didn't mean to suggest completely emulating the Lichess layout. I was just referring to displaying the time left in a pane as opposed to displaying timestamps as comments on every move.

As far as what the best solution is, just take the same approach as in the view when playing against an engine: a panel above the game notation. You could also consider the ability to close this new pane, but either way is fine.
clorgie

Post by clorgie »

I came here looking to figure out if there was an option to at display times. This would be a great option, I think.