A few questions on HCE

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

kramnikstudentc24

A few questions on HCE

Post by kramnikstudentc24 »

Since I started using Hiarcs about 2 weeks ago I moved away from Chessbase. Hence I am not a power user (yet)
However over the course of the 2 weeks, I have created a lot of files in the HCE database.

I am currently facing the below two issues:

Issue 1:
Today when I tried to convert the HCE databases into PGN:
a) A database containing 1 game but with multiple variations including game references , annotations and color markers
b) A database containing 32 games with annotations and color markers

In case a) the file was converted to PGN but I am unable to open it in Chessbase and I get a runtime error with a prompt to restart the application (Chessbase)
Case b) I am able to open the PGN file but clicking on any game number above No 20 gives me the same Run Time error

Issue 2:

Since I also blog occasionally I have to reconvert the files the PGN and then create an One click HTML Link.
I tried using the same option with Hiarcs however the results are far from satisfactory
Would be great if this area is improved upon in the future (not a high priority change)

Overall I am super happy with the product as Chessbase hangs like crazy and is simply unable to handle a database with 10+ million games.
Hiarcs does many things which Chessbase struggles to manage so I really hope the product improves in some areas and allows
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: A few questions on HCE

Post by mrudolf »

kramnikstudentc24 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:01 am Issue 1:
In case a) the file was converted to PGN but I am unable to open it in Chessbase and I get a runtime error with a prompt to restart the application (Chessbase)
Case b) I am able to open the PGN file but clicking on any game number above No 20 gives me the same Run Time error
Can you send us the PGNs (use Help->Report a problem)? We can check them, although if PGNs are correct, I am afraid we won't be able to fix ChessBase...

kramnikstudentc24 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:01 am Issue 2:
Since I also blog occasionally I have to reconvert the files the PGN and then create an One click HTML Link.
I tried using the same option with Hiarcs however the results are far from satisfactory
Would be great if this area is improved upon in the future (not a high priority change)
Can you be more specific? I know there are some plugins that let you paste a game into a blog, but usually they require pasting PGN, not HTML.
kramnikstudentc24

Post by kramnikstudentc24 »

I have emailed the HCE files as well as the converted PGN along with the screenshots to hiarcs@hiarcs.com
Would be great if you can take a look
Thanks a lot for your time
JGFMK

Post by JGFMK »

If View the Game Explorer, you can right click any game and select copy game to clipboard. If you paste it directly into TextEdit and save it as something like chess.pgn you will be able to open it easily enough still in Hiarcs, Chess.com etc.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

kramnikstudentc24 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:07 am I have emailed the HCE files as well as the converted PGN along with the screenshots to hiarcs@hiarcs.com
Would be great if you can take a look
Thanks a lot for your time
We have not received the email.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com