Version 1.2

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

jldchess

Re: Version 1.2

Post by jldchess »

Hi all,
MagnusThaSlayer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:13 pm Que sera, sera. - this much is always true…

Still I find it hard to understand why the Hiarcs-Team would announce October as a targeted release-date and now more than 9 months have passed - yet nobody has a clue when to expect the update.
I don't have a date for the update, sorry.
My understanding is that the Mac update issues are fixed, but not for the Windows version, which is delaying the release.
It will happen soon, I'm sure.

Regards
JL
EloDeficit

Post by EloDeficit »

Software development is complicated and even more difficult when targeting multiple platforms. The creation of HCE by such a small team is remarkable enough. The ground is literally moving under their feet. There are other engines out there that get delayed (e.g., Shredder), perhaps because they try to measure their lagging performance against ever-evolving open-source engines such as Stockfish. HCE will be released when ready. There are many factors beyond HCE developers' control that cause delays. Fortunately or unfortunately, HIARCS is still one of the best pastimes when it comes to chess. I say let's not expect anything, and we'll be happier and more pleasantly surprised when a better version is released.
olfreddy

Post by olfreddy »

MagnusThaSlayer wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:13 pm Que sera, sera. - this much is always true…

Still I find it hard to understand why the Hiarcs-Team would announce October as a targeted release-date and now more than 9 months have passed - yet nobody has a clue when to expect the update.
Any release dates can't be taken seriously here. Pro is released 7 years after announcement, the new Ipad version should be released already in February last year. It simply remains to wait. Unfortunately, so Hiarcs can not be developed into a very successful product.
MagnusThaSlayer

Post by MagnusThaSlayer »

olfreddy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:12 am Any release dates can't be taken seriously here.
That is my impression, too.

And, dear @Elodeficit, notwithstanding the complexity of software developement: I have to say there is a longstanding pattern here of lame excuses and anticlimaxes.

If everything you say is true, then it is totally irresponsible to announce something like "We will decide on final feature list in September. The predicted release time is October". Taking into account the factors you listed, this was NEVER a realistic prospect.

Why not simply admit that there is absolutely no robust timetable for a new release?

I have grown so tired of "really soon now" or "this is the last little bit that has to be fixed" etc. :cry:
JamesC

Post by JamesC »

Personally, I prefer to wait for a release with very few bugs. Hiarcs compares very favourably with other software.
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

EloDeficit wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:04 amI say let's not expect anything, and we'll be happier and more pleasantly surprised when a better version is released.
Fully approved!
Kind regards
herO

Post by herO »

olfreddy wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:12 am

Any release dates can't be taken seriously here. Pro is released 7 years after announcement, the new Ipad version should be released already in February last year. It simply remains to wait. Unfortunately, so Hiarcs can not be developed into a very successful product.
This is where you're wrong. A new version of Hiarcs Chess Explorer was announced back in 2013 and a new version was due to be released in 2014. So we didn't wait 7 years for a new version, we waited 9 years.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

Imho the list of intended features was too big for a small team of developers (Mark U., Michal R., …?) - especially the eBoard-Support
This is the main cause for the delay.
i’m still hoping for Version 1.2 til end of August 2023
Wenn Null besonders groß ist, ist es beinahe so groß wie ein bißchen Eins.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

herO wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:22 pm A new version of Hiarcs Chess Explorer was announced back in 2013 and a new version was due to be released in 2014. So we didn't wait 7 years for a new version, we waited 9 years.
The 80/20 Rule (aka Pareto-Rule) holds still
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
oddg

Post by oddg »

SchuBi wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:29 pm Imho the list of intended features was too big for a small team of developers (Mark U., Michal R., …?) - especially the eBoard-Support
This is the main cause for the delay.
i’m still hoping for Version 1.2 til end of August 2023
What they could do is what have been suggested for at least a year, is to make a universal e-board support of some kind. And deliver it with a Millenium driver. Now, there is maybe 10 types of e-board out there and a small team can't coop with all of them. Let users take care of the rest of the boards, if the documentation is good it will only take days before we have support for most of the boards.

I'm afraid that after 1.2 is out with Millenium support, demand for other board will start filling this forum (ChessNut, SquareOff, DGT etc.).
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

Next week.
SchuBi

Post by SchuBi »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:50 pm Next week.
That’s great.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Version 1.2 is available! 8)
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi,
will a Windows 7 64bits installer be provided?
Best,
Tibono
mattchess

Post by mattchess »

Robert wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:49 am Version 1.2 is available! 8)
Awesome! Installing now :D